Cricket accident

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't seen anyone comment on the tragic freak accident which resulted in the death of young cricketer Phil Hughes. Despite wearing a safety helmet he was struck by a ball from bowler Sean Abbot and subsequently died from a brain bleed. The funeral in Hughes' home town Macksville near Sidney Australia was attended by thousands including Sean Abbot who is not surprisingly distraught by the accident

Last edited:
tragic indeed,
many year back, I used to play "silly mid on" position without a helmet or glove, now I wonder what the hec$ was I thinking,

Since I had no clue on Cricket and I thought the subject was going to be about a phone,lol, I looked up Cricket to see what it was about. Interesting sport, but I need to see it in person: my first thought was, what in the hzll are they doing,well a little education would help , strange bat though, but then again, I grew up under baseball, what do I know...I am old , but subject to new stuff.

Only people who came from Commonwealth countries are familiar with Cricket as sport even though it probably contains similar amount of money as NFL or NBA just NOT in US dollars!

Yeah, I didn't post to it, although tragic, as wasn't really sure if it meant a great deal to those in the US...It's a good game, although the tests running for 4 from 5 days used to drag on as a kid.

Given the stance of the batsman, the helmets are cut back over the back shoulder to give room to swing...ball got in and struck around the lumpy part at the base of the skull...poor bloke got struck, staggered around dazed for only a few seconds, and collapsed.

One guy started a campaign in tribute

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/nov/27/fans-pay-tribute-to-phillip-hughes-with-online-campaign

I never knew British monarchy once ruled Israel! Seriously, I did not know cricket was played in Israel. Although to be fair, few middle eastern country do play.

I was never keen on cricket as a kid, we played it at school and on the street - that ball is hard and moves fast! Our summer game...at high school if you were good at sports you got in the 1st 15 (rugby) and 1st 11 (cricket).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back