credit card wierdness?

Status
Not open for further replies.
maybe I'm the only person having this problem with credit card (sears mastercard)but someone told me a simple way to track checkbook if you don't want elaborate is to assign number to each regular expense, i.e. mastercard payment is $xx dollars AND TWO CENTS. Another account would be xx dollars AND THREE cents. I never make ANYTHING else "and two cents". I call up my statement and see a .02 cents amount and I instantly know it is Sears Mastercard. This freaks citibank/sears/mastercard out. I will try to pay the full amount (say $88.44) and make it $89.02 and they just can't do it because it jams their system. I've had other problems with Citibank but this just boggles the mind.Any similar experiences?

Translated: The OP is trying to track expenses by having each payment end in a known amount, such as 2 cents, 3 cents, etc. Sears/Mastercard won't process the payment since it's more than the total due.

People still use check books? There's an app for nearly every bank that will give you the exact $ amount that's in there and it takes like 15 seconds to log in. Certainly shorter than hunting down the checkbook to see what's in there.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
People still use check books? There's an app for nearly every bank that will give you the exact $ amount that's in there and it takes like 15 seconds to log in. Certainly shorter than hunting down the checkbook to see what's in there.

Not everyone has, or trusts smartphones or mobile phones for financial transactions.

so dont pay in full round down to the nearest .02 or whatever.

they arent going to let you pay more than the bill.

Originally Posted By: bmwjohn
maybe I'm the only person having this problem with credit card (sears mastercard)but someone told me a simple way to track checkbook if you don't want elaborate is to assign number to each regular expense, i.e. mastercard payment is $xx dollars AND TWO CENTS. Another account would be xx dollars AND THREE cents. I never make ANYTHING else "and two cents". I call up my statement and see a .02 cents amount and I instantly know it is Sears Mastercard. This freaks citibank/sears/mastercard out. I will try to pay the full amount (say $88.44) and make it $89.02 and they just can't do it because it jams their system. I've had other problems with Citibank but this just boggles the mind.Any similar experiences?

I've bumped into this. I'll make a charge the day after my statement cuts off then try to tack it onto the existing balance and they kick me out. Want to keep me in debt.

Presently my online banking lets me put a slightly extra amount on my payment, I think it's a result of that new CC law from a couple years back.

I review my purchases and pay off my bill every pay-day. I don't get how it could be simpler.

I haven't paid a cent in CC interest in a while; with rewards, they're paying me to NOT be in debt. Simple.

People still use check books?

I'm so old-school I balance my checkbook every month. I can't stop until I get it right to the penny. We run it down pretty low at times, so I like to know exactly what we have in there.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
I review my purchases and pay off my bill every pay-day. I don't get how it could be simpler.

I haven't paid a cent in CC interest in a while; with rewards, they're paying me to NOT be in debt. Simple.

I do the same!

Originally Posted By: zrxkawboy

I do the same!

Same here also!

Having as many expenses as possible going through one CC helps track them all. And, it makes bill-paying simpler. It does turn into a hassle when the card gets reissued for any reason, though.

Originally Posted By: zrxkawboy

I do the same!

I have never paid a cent in CC interest period, nor will I ever.

In fact I build up around 300-400 cash back yearly with ease, which is one of the main reason to use CC.

I agree with the other individual regarding smart phone, I pay all my bill in about 10 minutes as I go through all the transactions to make sure no fraudulent charges then pay off about 6 CC in total and then add up the amounts paid to know how much is being spent.

It is way more time consuming to do the whole checkbook, and the whole dollars and .02 cent way as well.

I had never heard of any credit card not taking excess payment! I was carrying negative $0.23 on a credit card for months before they send me a check for that amount!

I do, not so much to see what's in there but as a way to ensure everything balances at the end of the month. No service charges that shouldn't be there or erroneous charges/transposed number from the rare check, etc.
--
As for the overpayment situation the OPs talking about, I know at least a few of our credit cards do that - makes sense to me, why would the CC company want you to overpay by say $.23 and then be obligated to send you a check in the future if you don't use the card again.

Another poster who believes that if you're not using a rewards credit card for all qualified expenses, you're leaving money on the table. 5% cashback for gas and groceries, 1-2% everywhere - there's plenty of options and these things add up yearly!

Very easy to track for budgets, etc also.

My checks are written for rent, and almost nothing else. I still have my checkbook from two addresses ago (over 10+ years) and am not close to running out yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back