Creative uses for a Costco rotisserie chicken?

Man I love these things. They're just about right, except that the wings are always dry. I guess that's the drawbacks of trying to cook a whole chicken rather than just parts.

Anyone have crazy things they do with them? We just pull them apart. My kid prefers the drumsticks whole, but maybe with some sauce of some kind. Although it's supposedly seasoned, I like Tony Chachere's Creole, Tapatio, teriyaki, or even hoisin sauce (I've got a oddball collection of stuff in my cabinet). We might also chop them into fried rice or in a jambalaya mix (have no idea how to make it from scratch).

I buy them (well not from Costco since there aren't any here) and use the chicken to make quesadillas with some cheese, chile powder, and jalepenos. Tasty 10 minute meal and enough chicken to last at least 3 days.

I've seen other stores trying to sell rotisserie chicken, but they're usually rather sad looking. Usually much smaller, where Costco says 3 lbs, but I've seen maybe as big as 5 lbs and often really sitting around way longer than at a Costco where the turnover is pretty fast. I've seen a few $5 specials, but still typically a small one - maybe 2 lbs.

I buy them to feed my dog, not every day but as a treat, last about 3 days. :D
IMG_1019.JPG

I've made a chicken bog with rotisserie chicken. Not as good as homemade from scratch, but a nice substitute for a family dinner or for someone who may not have the time or inclination to make a true chicken bog.

South Carolina Chicken Bog with Rotisserie Chicken

A distant cousin of pilau, Chicken Bog combines the best qualities of both chicken and rice. The chicken is juicy and flavorful, and the rice absorbs the flavor of the chicken and spices. In the best Southern-style of rice, the grains don't stick together. Some people theorize that Chicken Bog gets its name because the chicken is bogged in rice. Others claim the name comes because it is a boggy, soggy mess. The recipe is an old favorite, especially in the low country regions where rice is grown, because it is easy to prepare, it can be made to accommodate large crowds, and can be served formally or informally. Chicken Bog used to be a traditional meal in fish camps, cooked on the riverbanks in big black iron pots and served with butter beans and other local vegetables. Chicken bog is fairly simple and quick to make, and it’s a great way to feed a large crowd. So that you and your family can enjoy Chicken Bog as a weeknight meal, we have simplified the recipe without sacrificing any of the taste. Onions, carrots, and garlic are simmered with rice and chicken stock. Add flavorful, shredded rotisserie chicken for the finishing touch.

Ingredients
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup chopped yellow onion (from 1 onion)
1 cup chopped carrots (from about 3 carrots)
2 teaspoons chopped garlic
1 1/2 cups uncooked long-grain white rice
1 teaspoon kosher salt
3/4 teaspoon black pepper
4 cups chicken stock
1 (4-inch) piece Parmesan cheese rind
4 cups shredded boneless, skinless rotisserie chicken (about 1 rotisserie chicken)
3 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 1/2 ounces Parmesan cheese, shaved (about 1/3 cup)

Directions
Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high. Add onion and carrots, and cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to soften, about 4 minutes. Add garlic, rice, salt, and pepper, and cook until fragrant and rice begins to toast, about 3 minutes.

Stir in stock, and add Parmesan rind; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer until rice is just cooked through, about 18 minutes. Uncover and discard rind; stir in chicken. Cook until chicken is heated through, about 5 minutes.

Stir in parsley and lemon juice just before serving, and top with shaved Parmesan (IMO, not necessary)

Reactions: GON
debone it and use the meat for something and the use the carcass for congee. delicious

Chicken noodle soup or some bbq sauce on it.

How does that work? I thought that chicken soup really needs an uncooked chicken (especially the fat) to make the broth where it actually tastes like chicken soup. Or maybe I'm just doing it a different way.

I've seen the people in the kitchen behind the glass use those chickens to prep other food items at the case, like the salads and soup.

They're a good deal, no doubt (priced to attract shoppers, like the gas and food court), and I do like them, but there's something in the preparation that makes them unappealing as leftovers after the initial serving. The ingredient list is relatively benign as far as processed foods go, so it's hard to pinpoint, but there's something that makes them much less appetizing to me when they're not fresh.

Man I love these things. They're just about right, except that the wings are always dry. I guess that's the drawbacks of trying to cook a whole chicken rather than just parts.

Anyone have crazy things they do with them? We just pull them apart. My kid prefers the drumsticks whole, but maybe with some sauce of some kind. Although it's supposedly seasoned, I like Tony Chachere's Creole, Tapatio, teriyaki, or even hoisin sauce (I've got a oddball collection of stuff in my cabinet). We might also chop them into fried rice or in a jambalaya mix (have no idea how to make it from scratch).
Put one in a bear trap, 4 hours later there was a bear in the box.

We make “chicken stuff”. Debone the entire chicken into bite size pieces. Put all of it in a Dutch oven. Add a full log of goat cheese, grape tomatoes cut in half, peas, and a tub of pesto. Bake for about 30 min.

So good, and freezes well.

Not Costco for us, Sam's Club. Same chicken! $4.98 is a steal. One bird makes a large homemade chicken soup and some buffalo chicken dip. Odd part, Walmart, literally 100 yards away from Sam's, same rotis bird is $7.98.

Dogs (see pics 6 + 13) are ferocious killers. They'll grab a chicken and spin it around...breaking its neck. Then the cur rips into its soft belly. It shows you how adaptable they are for they prefer their chicken cooked, not too dry.
Chicken: It's how I get Fido to eat his vegetables! No desert until you eat your chicken!

Seriously, I was amazed when a kitchen I worked at allowed itself to run out of rotisserie chickens AT THE END OF THE DAY when office workers would come. I'd fire up one or two spits in our 7 spit unit and have 'em ready. The evening customers LOVED me as did the management.
Of course being a young, collegiate athlete at the time any leftover chicken entered my personal food handling pipeworks.

I would toss the bones, wing tip, butt / tail in a pot to make a quick soup for a soup pasta (angel hair) with some additional seasoning of your choice (either make it a US style chicken noodle soup or a chicken ramen), another soup idea is corn + egg flour + corn starch slurry (to thicken it). Or, put the excessive chicken fat and skin in the rice cooker when the rice is "almost done" and turn it into a flavored rice (same way the do clay pot rice), or cook it with the rice from the beginning with some vegetables and sauce Shanghai style.

If you are good with bread making you can put these meat into a dough and bake it into a meat bun.

I would toss the bones, wing tip, butt / tail in a pot to make a quick soup for a soup pasta (angel hair) with some additional seasoning of your choice (either make it a US style chicken noodle soup or a chicken ramen), another soup idea is corn + egg flour + corn starch slurry (to thicken it). Or, put the excessive chicken fat and skin in the rice cooker when the rice is "almost done" and turn it into a flavored rice (same way the do clay pot rice), or cook it with the rice from the beginning with some vegetables and sauce Shanghai style.

If you are good with bread making you can put these meat into a dough and bake it into a meat bun.

I'm not sure about using it for soup, because chicken bones get extremely dry once a chicken is roasted. The wings are always overcooked (can't really be avoided given how small they are) and I've had the bones crumble. A lot of the stuff that's in the bones already comes out into the meat, which is certainly good for the flavor of the meat.

Back