creak upon high torque/slow speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Hello,

The last few days Ive noticed a creaking/clicking sound for about one second when I start moving my car. It only happens when starting from a stop or a very slow roll in first or second gear. Once moving, putting the car (MT) into any gear a any speed does not cause an issue.

It is when torque is highest - stopped or near stop and inducing motion.

I can tell it is coming from the left rear. The car is a 91 BMW 318i with RWD, an LSD and MT.

Any thoughts? I would imagine it may have something to do with the diff, though there is no logical reason to me that there is an issue. It has never happened before either, FWIW.

Ive gotten funny groans when sway bar links have gone bad, but have been unable to get underneath.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

I've had funny creaks and clicks come from drum brakes that were getting sticky, usually just off a standstill, then quiet after that.

Check your bushings on the control arms, those can get loose with wear and make the described sounds. Also check the rest of the suspension pieces.

Could be driveshaft noise, and possibly even the diff. No real way to check the diff, but you can inspect the drive shaft.

Only once at first start moving?
Almost assuredly brake noise.
Also called morning sickness.
Harmless in itself, but I'd look at the brakes closely, just because.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Only once at first start moving?
Almost assuredly brake noise.
Also called morning sickness.
Harmless in itself, but I'd look at the brakes closely, just because.

I agree. Cycle your parking brake a couplr times first before moving and see if that stops the noise. If so, then you know where to look - brakes. Otherwise, if your diff takes an additive for the L/Slip then perhaps a diff fluid change is due.

Yeah, im wondering if a change is due... it has been about 2 years.

Brakes release and it is at the start of motion from a dead stop - on a hot, well-used run too.

It is not a "morning" issue, but most every stop. It seems that if I really let the clutch out slow, it does not make the noise (of course im sacrificing the clutch, but it is a good experiment).

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back