CRC Knock'er Loose vs K&W Knock'er Loose. Are they the same?

CRC Knock'er Loose seems like the best penetrating oil for extremely rusty nuts and bolts. I also found another brand called K&W KW

While K&W is a division/subsidiary of CRC, there is a big difference in price, with the KW being about half the price of CRC at Napa. CRC is 13 oz, while K&W is 18 oz.

Obviously I'd prefer to save the $7 on the KW if it is the same as CRC brand, but it seems silly to have two identical products at the same store for different prices. Both seem to be name brands. K&W doesn't seem to be a house brand or anything, unless I'm wrong here

So, does anybody here know of any difference between the two brands' seemingly identical sprays? :unsure:

E263A90F-B646-443D-8757-DCB7A6B33EB8.jpeg

I’ve used both too. Considering this says CRC on the back of the can it’s safe to assume it’s the same. The people at Napa told me it was a newer can since K&W has part of CRC now or something like that based on my understanding. 🙂🙂🙂

Late to the thread, but this raises a question. CRC has another penetrating oil called Freeze Off, which is supposed to chill the stuck bolt to help loosen it. Freeze Off hasn't been discussed in recent threads. Seems as if it hasn't been out very long. It's a premium product at a higher price, but it has serious fans just as Kroil does.

It doesn't seem to make sense for the CRC brand to have two different products that do the same thing. Could it be that CRC intends to make Knock'er Loose only K&W and Freeze Off only CRC?

Late to the thread, but this raises a question. CRC has another penetrating oil called Freeze Off, which is supposed to chill the stuck bolt to help loosen it. Freeze Off hasn't been discussed in recent threads. Seems as if it hasn't been out very long. It's a premium product at a higher price, but it has serious fans just as Kroil does.

It doesn't seem to make sense for the CRC brand to have two different products that do the same thing. Could it be that CRC intends to make Knock'er Loose only K&W and Freeze Off only CRC?
Not sure but I do know both work very well. Freeze Off has been around for sometime. I have older cans of it downstairs that my dad had when I was a kid. The can and label have changed over the years but it still works great. I can’t find the regular cans of CRC Knock’er Loose anymore but the stuff in the K&W can smells the same and works well so I assume it’s the same.

Since many recommend acetone and ATF mix, I've wondered how motor oil mixed with gas would do. Nobody wants to talk about using dirt cheap things we already have instead of paying a chunk to get a job done.
I think that Acetone and ATF gets ranked higher than most. But I don't think motor oil and gas gets mentioned or tested so probably not up there. But I'd rather just spray some Kroil on something than go get some some Acetone and ATF and make my own mix when I already have a can on the shelf. Boy, Kroil is getting expensive now, used to be able to buy 2 for 1 directly from them, but now they don't do that and it's $32 on Amazon. I picked up a couple cans a few years ago at $14.50 in a 2 for 1 special.

Acetone is nasty stuff to have around, and I don't think I'd keep it at home. Some shop manuals say to use it to clean metal surfaces before using a gasket, but I don't hear about auto shops using it for that or to mix with ATF to make penetrant. I'll stick with the commercial penetrants.

Tip about Amazon: it is not cheap on lots of things. I've noticed jacked-up prices on several items recently on Amazon and have bought them elsewhere—and I'm a Prime member. Shop for Kroil, CRC, etc., elsewhere, not just Amazon.

Back