CRC Ice Off vs Spray Bottle Of Windshield Washer Fluid

I keep a spray bottle of windshield washer fluid in the garage to thaw out side windows when conditions are right for frost on the one car that sits outside. While at NAPA, I saw a product called CRC Ice-Off. It’s for spraying onto iced windshields which can be an issue for folks in a rush. They were blowing it out for $3 ( $2.10 US).

I did a head to head test. CRC on the driver’s side, and sprayed -40 Walmart windshield washer fluid on the passenger side. Turns out the windshield washer fluid was just as fast and evaporated off faster. However, the CRC was in a spray can and not a drippy spray bottle. The last photo shows a clear passenger side, the center untreated patch, and a drippy driver’s side, as well as a bunch of junk in my car. :p Enjoy.

BD94598D-24B2-44F4-BA9A-BD83AADF54A1.jpegF3C58410-BBED-46EA-AD2B-4C1777302FDA.jpeg56237C0F-4399-423A-A42A-C424BF01E4E3.jpeg3A051DD3-3E15-43DD-9F68-773DAB2CD1F6.jpeg656ED4CB-AC1B-4729-9FDC-68FCCFC278C1.jpeg8E135E47-8402-42FE-853C-6042E0662666.jpeg

Last edited:
I have a bottle of rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle in the trunk for one car that sits outside. However, I prefer to put on a windshield cover for those nights I suspect frost or snow/ice storm.

I keep a spray bottle of windshield washer fluid in the garage to thaw out side windows when conditions are right for frost on the one car that sits outside. While at NAPA, I saw a product called CRC Ice-Off. It’s for spraying onto iced windshields which can be an issue for folks in a rush. They were blowing it out for $3 ( $2.10 US).

I did a head to head test. CRC on the driver’s side, and sprayed -40 Walmart windshield washer fluid on the passenger side. Turns out the windshield washer fluid was just as fast and evaporated off faster. However, the CRC was in a spray can and not a drippy spray bottle. The last photo shows a clear passenger side, the center untreated patch, and a drippy driver’s side, as well as a bunch of junk in my car. :p Enjoy.

View attachment 36720View attachment 36721View attachment 36722View attachment 36723View attachment 36724View attachment 36725
is the bottle of windshield fluid kept indoors or in the car? ie, does it work aswell when it's as cold as the ice you are trying to remove?

When it's that bad, I just scrape it off with a scraper, it's the bottom end of the snow brush. Then blast it with windshield washer fluid to clear any little bits. No need for fancy cans or bottles. When you're used to winter weather, you just know to leave 5-10 minutes early because that's the time it will take to clear off the car or you clear it off in advance.

When it's that bad, I just scrape it off with a scraper, it's the bottom end of the snow brush. Then blast it with windshield washer fluid to clear any little bits. No need for fancy cans or bottles. When you're used to winter weather, you just know to leave 5-10 minutes early because that's the time it will take to clear off the car or you clear it off in advance.
Sure. In Maryland. Now turn down the temp another 20 F and drop by to scrape my windows. Scraping and spray work well together. ;)

all i ever do is put hot water in large zip lock bag. slide back down windshield... unless it's heavy thick ice. it works great.

Sure. In Maryland. Now turn down the temp another 20 F and drop by to scrape my windows. Scraping and spray work well together. ;)
When it's that bad, sometimes I get lazy and just pour windshield washer fluid on the window. It gets pretty cold in Massachusetts too.

Basically I pop the wipers free and then just hit the windshield washer fluid and have the defrost on full blast.

My bad. I got MA and MD mixed up. :)
No worries, I had the same Taurus, 2001. As long as nozzles didn't get frozen over which wasn't that often, you could just hit the spray button. Just lift wipers off the windshield first to make sure it doesn't get suck. I think I replaced the wiper assembly linkage at one point when it broke for whatever reason. That can is basically just alcohol. Which is basically what's in a gallon of windshield washer fluid. Except the gallon of windshield washer fluid is the same price as the can. When it's on clearance at the end of the year, you can get it for $1 here but normally just $1.79.

I'm waiting to try the -100 F RV antifreeze that I use in my pressure washer pump for winter storage. It was around $2.50 a gallon at Walmart. Have it in a spray bottle with adjustable spray width.

Back