Crazy idea I had about OE filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I once thought that if you bought an OEM's brand of filter "AC Delco, Motorcraft, Denso, ETC) That the manufacturer of the new cars would sell the filters with a minimal markup and high standards because they want their cars to last.

Is this just a crazy idea, or does anybody have evidence to prove or disprove this idea?

I really do not think that 'minimal markup and OEM' can be spoken in the state state let alone placed in the same paragraph...

If I said that my job would send me for a urine test...cause I'm high!

fruit.gif
fruit.gif
fruit.gif
fruit.gif

See I said it in the same post and I could not even see I said 'state' twice....

Headed to the clinic in the morning for my test...

The OEM's certainly don't like warranty related failures or Customer complaints (eg. start-up noise).

Motorcraft did a good job on the FL820S I use. PureONE-like media, silicon ABV, and base-end bypass. And I can get them at WM for $3.48 The only improvement would be a metal clip on media ends.

Changing to a full synthetic media like Donaldson Syntec or Fleetguard Stratapore with a wire mesh backing would be nice but overkill for 5K warranty and more costly.

Quote:

I once thought that if you bought an OEM's brand of filter "AC Delco, Motorcraft, Denso, ETC) That the manufacturer of the new cars would sell the filters with a minimal markup and high standards because they want their cars to last.

The manufacturers make good money from folks who think this. But consider, those in the aftermarket oil filter manufacturing business must make their products to meet the car manufacturers specs. If they didn’t and there was a failure, the filter company could be responsible.
Beyond that, if your statement were true, shouldn’t any type of service be cheaper. Say brakes, tranny work or anything else? And we know those services are certainly not cheaper at a dealership.

Just a little anecdotal info from my experience at the dealership regarding pricing.

Being in Canada, there really is no such thing as a cheap oil change (unless you do it yourself).

The dealership I use has the usual "lube oil and filter" special which runs about $45 with taxes and environmental fees tossed in. When you look at the breakdown of the costs for their special, the oil filter costs $6 (cartridge in my case).

However, should you bring your own oil to have them put in, the oil filter now costs $12. Jobbers rate vs parts counter rate.

They are still the ones doing the work, but because you brought your own oil, the parts cost goes up to offset the loss of $$$ from not using their bulk oil (that's my assumption).

That was what ticked me off and made me decide to do my own oil changes. Also bought the OEM filters from an internet vendor instead of the dealer. Same product for half the cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back