crazy granny gear spotted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Kamele0N
Originally Posted by supton
It's crazy what they are putting into cassettes these days. I'm old school and run a relatively narrow cassette. But then again both my road bikes are triples so the granny is there "just in case". I pretty much only use it on dirt roads.

+1.... I dont get 1x11 or 1x12 designs.....
smirk2.gif

1x is so you don't have to worry about chain drops.

Road and mountain biking are different when it comes to terrain and hills.

My road bike has a chain watcher up front (as specialized installed one at the factory), and has a 10-speed 32T cassette put in with an 9-speed XT rear derailleur by the bike shop, to go with the compact crank

my mountain bike, I removed the big and small chain ring, and went with a 11-34T cassette with a raceface narrow-wide chain ring, so it's effectively a hacked together 1x10.

Eventually when I go carbon fiber, I would like a Carbon fiber cross bike, to go with a 1x drivetrain and put road wheels/tires for the road and the cross wheel/tires for dirt roads and easy singletrack

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Number_35
Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
"granny gear"
confused2.gif

This may be local cycling slang. In any case, it means a gear so low that a grandmother could pedal with ease.

I've only ever heard it used in reference to the smallest front chainring on older mountain bikes with three chainrings in the front.

I wasn't convinced about 1x gearing until I got a bike with it. It's a non-issue compared to 2x drivetrains. Given that it's a bit lighter and the narrow-wide chainrings combined with clutched rear derailleurs seem to have made dropping the chain a thing of the past I'm sold on them.

There might be a slight efficiency loss given the chain angle is going to be greater in a few gears but I'm not competing at a level where a few watts in the biggest issue I have!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back