Crapy oil and filter selections here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time to change the oil in the Jeep. I went to K-mart first. The only 15w-40 is regular rotella. Only Fram filters.

Went to A-zone. Looked at the Bosch, stp and some other brand they carry in a white box that is a Champion filter. All of these had metal shavings in the threads.

The ones in the white boxes that I can't remember the name say "Exported to mexico" on the box. Wassup with that?

Picked up 2 FL1-A's. Both had metal shavings in the threads too.

I know that the metal shavings could probly be wiped out fine, but they scare me.
I did buy some QS 10w-40 on sale
shocked.gif
We will see how bad it breaks down....I'll be the Guennie pig.

Off to the truckstop. No Baldwin B2's. They are not interested in special ordering me any either.

Went to napa and bought a 1515. No metal in the threads.

Sure is a pita to buy quality stuff when you know too much
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Chris142:
Time to change the oil in the Jeep. I went to K-mart first. The only 15w-40 is regular rotella.

I did buy some QS 10w-40 on sale
shocked.gif
We will see how bad it breaks down....I'll be the Guennie pig.

Sure is a pita to buy quality stuff when you know too much
grin.gif

In that case, why did you choose the QS 10w-40 over the Rotella?

Should have gone to walmart. those $2 supertech's are just a delco with a crappy BV (well, at least for the Honda size. My 300zx uses the same fitler, So I'll probably cut open a Motorcraft (Pure One in disguise), Delco and ST fitler to compare them).

quote:

Originally posted by Chris142:
Went to napa and bought a 1515. No metal in the threads.

I like NAPA. They are one of the few stores that carry Valvoline Durablend 15w40 which I am going to try out next oil change.

quote:

Originally posted by TallPaul:
I like NAPA. They are one of the few stores that carry Valvoline Durablend 15w40 which I am going to try out next oil change.

What's your reasoning for picking the Durablend over Delo, Delvac, Long-Life, Rotella, or even Valvoline's own Premium Blue??

quote:

Originally posted by Jelly:

quote:

Originally posted by TallPaul:

What's your reasoning for picking the Durablend over Delo, Delvac, Long-Life, Rotella, or even Valvoline's own Premium Blue??

Or Schaeffers blend

Jelly/ Therion,

Just don't know if I want to go with a HDEO and the cold flow properties of the Valvoline Durablend look much better than most 15w40 HDEOs:

Pour: -36C
CCS cP: 5700 @ -20C
MRV TP-1 cP: 17,000 @ -25C

While this probably does not matter for the summer, I would consider this oil for winter here in Detroit where I rarely see below 0F and have a pan heater for the really cold morning starts.

EDIT: The above is better than Premium Blue, particularly on pour point, but not as good as Premium Blue Extreme, but I don't want to go synthetic. Delo may be as good, not sure, pour point is better (-39C I think).

[ March 07, 2004, 06:00 PM: Message edited by: TallPaul ]

Chris142,

I've always just assumed the metal in the threads are residual from the machining process. I can't remember using a filter that hasn't had some degree of metal around the threading. That's why I always take a clean rag, dip it in clean oil, and wipe down every bit of the filter that I can reach (except the outside, of course
wink.gif
) No matter which brand it is, there is always some metal residues that come off.

Z-

[/qb][/QUOTE]In that case, why did you choose the QS 10w-40 over the Rotella? [/QB][/QUOTE]

Mainly because I could only get it in gallon jugs. Thats all I need, 1/2 gallon of new oil taking up space in my already cluttered garage.

And we don't have many QS UOA's here. I plan on my regular 3k run on it and then I'll send the sample off and post the results for everybody.

Did you happen to look at a K&N oil filter? According to their advertising, the threads on their filters are rolled, rather than being cut. That process should'nt leave any filings behind.

quote:

Originally posted by Rebel Rouser:
Did you happen to look at a K&N oil filter? According to their advertising, the threads on their filters are rolled, rather than being cut. That process should'nt leave any filings behind.

I did see the K&N's but the $12.99 price scared me. I didn't know about the rolled threads though.

quote:

Originally posted by Rebel Rouser:

I just looked at a Fram and Fleetguard. Both look like rolled threads.

Forming (rolling) is faster and gives about 10x the tool life of cutting threads. It seems like any high production filter would have rolled threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back