crankshaft seal lube?

I'm going to replace my crankshaft dampener and will replace the front seal while I'm at it. I have wondered about lightly lubing the seal lip when installing and the Internet gives a wide variety of answers. Many say to install it dry and some say to lube the lip with grease. they also mentioned using RTV on the seal edge when installing, or Loctite. they even mention using RTV on the keyway! My van doesn't have a keyway, I find this odd. My main question is about going dry or with some lube. I now wonder about asking about lube here.:) Felpro offered no info on their site. Now to see if my pullers fit or do I spend sixty bucks on a puller I use once.

No RTV or Loctite on the OD of the seal. I’ve always used motor oil or grease on my seals. If the shaft is scored/nicked, expect a leak.

If it's a Viton (Rubber) lip seal use engine oil or engine assembly grease, If it's Teflon.....It goes on dry.

I've always used Red Loctite on the OD of my seals, It acts as a lubricant while installing the seal, Then hardens with the lack of oxygen (anaerobic) giving increased retention of the seal. I realize this isn't in the service manual & not usually required.....But I've NEVER had a pump seal on a transmission blow out or seep either since I started using Loctite over 2 decades ago.

At every shop I have ever worked at we always Lubed with appropriate Grease and installed. No RTV or any other stuff. Just make sure the bore that the seal is going into is good and clean and then light grease... Never had any problems..

Back