Craftsman Tiller Belt Drive

Hi all,

I recently bought a used Craftsman front tine tiller (917.292381) and the belt drive seems to want to not let go after you engage it. When I first got it it was making a ton of metallic racket and I found that the bottom belt guide for the engine pulley was bent in that it was touching the idler, the one that engaged and is supposed to disengaged the tines. I bent it slightly to get it out of the way while also not being too close to the engine pulley.

Could it be that the belt is too short? The idler/engagement pulley has zero tension on the belt and it's still running the tines.

It sounds like you have the wrong belt on it. When disengaged, the belt should be loose enough so the the tines are not moving.

I would start by verifying that the belt is correct, or replacing it if it is not. Just enter the model number at searspartsdirect.com. There you will find the owner's manual, part numbers, belt size, etc.

I second the belt theory. If they used an aftermarket belt I have found that even though it may cross it might be a 1/2" off or the angle is slightly different. I had the same issue when I replaced the CVT belt on my lawn tractor. Once engaged it would not stop. After getting the manufactures belt it worked fine.

Here are a few pictures. Does that look like little enough slack to keep them from running? That's with no tension on the engagement lever. Also there's a shot of the condition of the transmission pulley, should it be cleaned up?

Attachments

• IMG_20210812_232906.jpg
    IMG_20210812_232906.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_20210812_232847.jpg
    IMG_20210812_232847.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 71
I would start by verifying that the belt is correct, or replacing it if it is not. Just enter the model number at searspartsdirect.com. There you will find the owner's manual, part numbers, belt size, etc.
I was hoping I could still see the number on the current belt but it appears to be gone. Maybe Napa or somewhere can measure this one.

I second the belt theory. If they used an aftermarket belt I have found that even though it may cross it might be a 1/2" off or the angle is slightly different. I had the same issue when I replaced the CVT belt on my lawn tractor. Once engaged it would not stop. After getting the manufactures belt it worked fine.

It really sounds like this belt is too small. It has the same behavior, tines are off when it's first started but then you can't get them to stop without killing the engine.

Here is the diagram and belt size from the searspartsdirect site. That particular belt is no longer available at Sears but a hardware store or auto parts store should have that size. Also check that all components (in the diagram) are present on your machine. Any missing parts can cause problems.

Screenshot_20210813-064708_Opera.jpg

Screenshot_20210813-064555_Opera.jpg

I went out of town for a week after I posted this. The other day I measured the existing belt and it's definitely only about 40.75" long. I have a new 42" one ordered and it should be here tomorrow. Also had to order a new pull rope as this one shredded.

The only other issue I'm trying to sort out is the depth stake that's missing from the back of the machine. I bought some 1" 3/16" flat stock from home depot, should this be robust enough to fab into a stake to use for tilling? I figured I could cut an angle at the end of it and drill some holes for different depths.

That DIY depth stake should work fine. If it bends or wears at some point you can always replace it. New ones are kinda spendy.
They're discontinued for my model of tiller anyway so making one is the only option. Hopefully my homemade piece will work.

Hey I think I have a bin full of parts from the same tiller, I scrapped one and saved the belt and I think there's a number on it.
The belt is discontinued I think, but I would be interested to know what the length is. Do you happen to have the old depth stake? I'd like some rough measurements of where the holes are and the overall length.

Back