Craftsman Snowblower 247.88955

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all. I usually change my snowblower oil every 2 years which is less than 50 hours and the manual says atleast once a year. I do live in snowy Buffalo NY and I'm not sure if I changed it in the end of 2013 or if I did it at the end of 2012 because I did'nt write it down. So since I have M1 5W30EP and it's 60 degrees out today, I'm going to winterize the mower and weed whacker and change the oil in the blower. My question is with the EP would you change it every two years based on my schedule or would you extend it? I change the oil in the weed whacker and mower on the even years but they use conventional and single grade. All of my equipment is 4 cycle if anyone was wondering. Thanks in advance, Steve.

A snowblower seems like the perfect use for 0W/30, if there ever was one. I change mine yearly, just because it is easy, and it takes less than a quart. I have GC in it, now.

I change at the end of the season, because then it is stored with fresh in it. And the end of the season is easier to predict, than the beginning, if you know what I mean.

So you got an MTD snow blower. Wipe the oil on a unused coffee filter and see how it looks. For an engine with splash lubrication you are trying to get rid of the contaminants since there is no oil filter. In most cases the oil is not "used up" TBN wise, just filled with contaminants.

It's hard to say whether the use of M1 or the likes will qualify for extended oil drain interval, but my take RE: OPE engines as follows:

(1) unless you have means of maintaining the engine hot (I mean operational temperature range HOT) for over 80% of the time, granted, the engine (almost all of them carb based), will suffer from fuel-related diluation due to frequent cold starts, and fuel-dilution (in oil) is what I'd be concern about.

(2) unlike operating in relative dry weather (where grit from air-filter is of concern), OPE running in winter time (snowblowers, etc.) the biggest concern is moisture that came in and eventually gets into the oil. So, elevated moisture and/or condensation in oil is also of concern.

With those 2 in mind, I'd still do oil change every season or 50hrs, whichever comes first, during spring time after the last snow-clearing, before the season warms up.

Q.

The benefits of an EP oil are lost in a splash lubed no filter engine. Really the oil will be contaminated with fuel well before the additive pack is depleted. Keep in mind most snow blowers don't have an air filter, so dirt/silicon in the oil is a real possibility as well.

Why not do what the manual says? At least once a year. A lot easier to remember.

Seems quite clear to me. Mine takes less than a quart of oil, and about 15 minutes of work.

It has no oil filter. Change it every 50 hours, or at least annually in everything that's air-cooled and lacking an oil filter.

I think it's a waste IMHO to only run it for one season and roughly at the very most 20 hours and dump it. I do let it idle with the choke at half way and then the choke off for about 3 minuites. Then I take it easy on it and only run it full throttle if it's needed(plugged apron of the driveway, heavy snow, etc.). The oil was still clean on the dipstick but when I removed it through the back of the engine, it came out pretty brown. A cut open milk jug makes for a great catch pan BTW. I only put in 16 ounces instead of the full 20 because when I did it last time it put it over the full line. Thanks for the replies and I will stick to every two years because of the low use and fuel dillution. The machine was bought in 2008-2009 and I don't have an extended warrenty on it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Droopy
I think it's a waste IMHO to only run it for one season and roughly at the very most 20 hours and dump it. I do let it idle with the choke at half way and then the choke off for about 3 minuites. Then I take it easy on it and only run it full throttle if it's needed(plugged apron of the driveway, heavy snow, etc.). The oil was still clean on the dipstick but when I removed it through the back of the engine, it came out pretty brown. A cut open milk jug makes for a great catch pan BTW. I only put in 16 ounces instead of the full 20 because when I did it last time it put it over the full line. Thanks for the replies and I will stick to every two years because of the low use and fuel dillution. The machine was bought in 2008-2009 and I don't have an extended warrenty on it.

So......Why did you come here and ask? Just do what you are going to do.

The dipstick can fool you. That's why I suggested to wipe it on a white unused coffee filter.

I do things backwords in some cases=my 25 year old Yamaha (splash/no filter)tracked snowblower never needs anything and is operated in a pretty dust/dirt free environment, but I change the oil at the end of each winter use-why? oil drain/refill of the 3/4 qt is very easy and it often is worked pretty hard and oil shows some discoloration. The opposite on my 25 year old Deere for lawn work-it's pressure lube with a big spin-on filter and good air filter. The oil never shows any discoloration and I change that every other year even as it is used way more hours than the snowblower. Both using 5-40 Rotella synthetic

Just thought I could change it every three years because I purchased the EP oil but taking in account the fuel dilution, every 2 years will be ok.

Just thought I could change it every three years because I purchased the EP oil but taking in account the fuel dilution, every 2 years will be ok.

I don't think regular M1 vs. EP is the part worth considering here. Supertech, Mobil 1, and Amsoil are all going to be contaminated with abrasive particles and fuel quickly without a filter.

Well you thought wrong. That snow blower doesn't have an air filter or an oil filter. Change it every 50 hours or once a year, whichever occurs FIRST.

EP oil doesn't apply to power equipment due to the lack of an oil filter and high fuel dilution.

Not running it at full throttle?

That isn't taking "it easy on it"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back