Craftsman b&s silver 5.50 oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a new mower, listed above. Changed out the original fill of autozone syn 5-30 after 5 hrs. Filthy and shiny. Replaced with Ace hardware 5-30 dino. How is this oil for a mower? Also, I dont have the manual and eventually want to replace the air filter. Anyone have a part number? Thanks!

I've used the Ace Hardware 5W-30 in my old Craftsman snowblower, worked just fine. No reason it wouldn't work just fine in a mower, but it might be a little more prone to consumption so I'd check it often.

Manuals are available on the Briggs&Stratton website. While there, you may want to check ol recommendations. Iirc, 5w/30 is recommended as a synthetic, but conventional only in a 10w/30 or straight 30 weight.

Last edited:
5w-30 is recommended as synthetic only. These things run hot and dirty.

If you're going to use 5w-30 dino, do 25 hour OCIs. 50 hours with synthetic or HDEO in 10w-30, 5w-40, or 15w-40. SAE30 is good too. My push mower has Castrol Edge 0w-30 in it now (that's what I had in the garage). Rotella T6 is on deck for the end of the season.

Standby for the air filter.

If it takes the automotive style air filters that my 675 Gold does, Amazon sells a 5-pack. That's the best deal around. I replace them annually with my end of season oil change. They're pretty nasty by the end of the summer, which is about 50 hours for me.

Originally Posted By: hardcore302
Changed out the original fill of autozone syn 5-30 after 5 hrs. Filthy and shiny. Replaced with Ace hardware 5-30 dino. How is this oil for a mower?

Dino 5W30 is really the wrong oil for your application, unless you mow your lawn in arctic conditions. Should have stayed with the synthetic 5W30 or SAE30.

Run it for 5 hours as a short interval then change it back to the recommended SAE30 or synthetic 5W30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back