Craftsman 6.5HP Push - Grey Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mower in topic hadn't had its oil changed in years, so it was changed by me earlier this season. The old oil was grey and the new oil (Auto Zone HD30) turned grey very shortly (checked after mowing right after changing the oil).

Is this normal or does the oil need several changes to flush it out before it will stay brown for a while?

Flush it. You may have microfine metal in the sump. Add some Sea Foam to the oil, run it for 10 minutes or so, dump the oil. Add fresh oil, keep an eye on it. Repeat as necessary until it stays clear.

Originally Posted By: FusilliJerry82
OK. Any benefit to a diesel 30wt like Delo?

i would do a few flush oil changes on it,sounds like it pretty dirty in side,yes a HDEO has a better add pack use it..thats all i ues in my equipment

Almost sounds like the mower isn't really broken in yet. All the grey is likely aluminum shavings, if that B&S engine doesn't have a metal sleeve. My Honda GCV-160 (sleeveless) put a lot of grey into the oil the first few times (a few hours on each run) while the aluminum bore broke in I guess.

I'd run a 30W oil in it, if you don't want to use 10W-30. I've used Shell Rotella 30W in my mowers before. They were definitely harder to pull start, but it was okay. Straight 40, I'm not sure. Unless you were talking about 5W-40 or 15W-40.

I've got the 0W-30 German Castrol in all of my power equipment. The Honda engines love it. Not sure about B&S, I haven't had one of those in years.

A HDEO 30w will work fine and not shear,i would pass too on the 40w,unless it's a 5w40 like said above.

i like sticking to a full synthetic in these little engines because of the heat they make,i run Amsoil ACD.

Originally Posted By: FusilliJerry82
Would you really run a multiweight in a splash-fed engine that specifically specs 30W? This engine will never see temperatures below 50F.

My experience with the Delo 400 30wt versus Delo 15w-40. The 15w-40 was a compromise, ran hotter. I didn't have a problem with it...but personally the Delo 400 30wt cooled the engine down and provided protection. I'm in temp conditions 72F-88F. I use but SAE mono grades...my base is the 30wt and tweak as engine ages with the 40wt. The only time I had to use a full 40wt after 5000 hours and the engine was on it's last leg. I got the most out of engine and that is about max you'll get from these small engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back