Cracking between tread, is it normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a pair of goodyear assurance all season tires on my vehicle that are 1 year old and has 4,000 miles on them. I noticed small and many hairline cracks between the treads and my mechanic refuses to warranty them out claiming its normal and because of heat. I attachded some pics, what do you BITOGers think? I must add they have no drycracking on the sidewall. Thanks..

nothing should be cracking after 1 year and 4k miles. While it should be fine, I would consider getting a fresh pair of rubber. Try calling goodyear and say that the mechanic refuses to warranty them as well.

Where do you live, and what is the manufacture date of the tires? This looks like an old tire from the pics...drive on rough pavement/gravel much?

The tired were manafactured in 2/2015 put into service on 6/22/2015. No gravel roads all paved streets in NYC.

I'm no expert, but that looks pretty bad for a 1 year old tire, between the cracks and the little chipping on the edge of the tread. You say that you have a pair of them, do they both look like that? What are the other 2 tires on that vehicle? Any pictures of those tires for reference?

I'll contact the Manufacturer with pics and copy of invoice ans ask for replacement.
Worked for me once, a bad set of Michelin, they were replaced at no charge (more precisely, they made me replace them then refunded after a loooong time).

The 2 rear tires are very old (8 year vintage) with minimal drycrack for its age.

Originally Posted By: zvm77us
The tired were manafactured in 2/2015 put into service on 6/22/2015. No gravel roads all paved streets in NYC.

From what I understand, NYC roads might as well be gravel in some spots...
Yeah definitely look bad for just over a year old!

Last edited:
normal. Phones with incredible macro-photography abilities make it look worse than it is.

That's not bad at all, no worries.

Go buy some Michelins if you want to see some serious cracks in no time

IDK if that's normal or not but it makes me want to go out and check my tires right now!

My Michelins are now 2-1/2 years old with approx 18K miles. Just noticed a few weeks ago the first signs of faint sidewall dry cracking. That was not a pleasant revelation. I live in a fairly cool part of southern New England and the car is kept out of the sun nearly all the time. I might be lucky to get to 6 yrs/40K miles on this set of tires. The last pair got me 50K/12 years with extensive side wall dry cracking at that point. My car before this also had Michelins as OEM equipment. 2 of those failed early from internal defects and they went out round with a bubble. Those were replaced at around 15K and 30K miles. Nothing like the "thunka-thunka" tire sound as you go down the road.

I don't know much about tires, but keep in mind they have steel belts where those cracks are.

Are you certain that is the correct birth date? I hardly consider New York to be "hot".

I purchased the tires on 6/25/2015 they were manafactured in November 2014. So 7 months since born on date to installation is very young. I attached a pic of the DOT born on date.

I have had Coopers replaced because of similiar cracking. I had no problems getting new tires after they pro-rated them, charging me for the tread used. That's the best you can expect and I would contact someone at Goodyear H.Q. and explain the situation. I am sure that they can help and you do not have to deal with that un-willing dealer, any Goodyear dealer would work.

Those don't look too bad. On the outer limits on tires that are almost 2 years old.

However, if you feel uncomfortable with them, call the manufacturer and discuss it with them. Do not be surprised if they refuse to do anything until the cracks are worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back