Cracked Windshield - General Questions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So a dumpster truck let go a rock of some size into my windshield yest. on the hwy.
The tiny meteorite caused a crack that I could see slowly moved from point of impact (indention) to now almost 2 feet wide.

Getting it mobile repair tomorrow @ my office.

What are some things I should be aware of to inspect & question during the repair process? Obviously - never done this be4. -thanks

Had a windshield done a few years ago; no problems. All the stickers were put on the new windshield somehow. The manager recommended that the car not be washed for 24 hours to let the sealer set.

Originally Posted By: frank2009
All the stickers were put on the new windshield somehow.

haha - I was wondering if I needed a new state inspection sticker put on or even a new inspection!

Next door neighbor had her Civic done at her house by Safelite yesterday. I've had it done several times. Biggest thing is to leave the windows cracked for at least 24hrs so you don't put pressure on the windshield when you close the door.

They should leave instructions, and have dealt with inspection stickers before. Never had a problem.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Next door neighbor had her Civic done at her house by Safelite yesterday. I've had it done several times. Biggest thing is to leave the windows cracked for at least 24hrs so you don't put pressure on the windshield when you close the door.

They should leave instructions, and have dealt with inspection stickers before. Never had a problem.

Hope it doesn't rain around here during the day (park outside for work). Thanks for 411!

I think state inspection stickers generally come off with a hair dryer loosening the glue. Ours seem to make the move to new glass most of the time.

Massachusetts figured something out where licensed windshield installers get this clear sticker they use to hold the remnant of the old one back on.

no stickers here in CA
banana2.gif

i always insist on OEM glass. not so bad on my mom's mercury, real bad on the S60R.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I think state inspection stickers generally come off with a hair dryer loosening the glue. Ours seem to make the move to new glass most of the time.

Massachusetts figured something out where licensed windshield installers get this clear sticker they use to hold the remnant of the old one back on.
Yeah I used to use the klingon clear ones & stuck my decal/stickers on there. But after a awhile, the inspector didn't want to allow it casue I could remove it & possible use it on a non inspected car.

Just wondering, what causes those small chips to grow into large ones? Is it just freezing temps or can something else cause it? I've had 6+ of them on all my cars and none of them ever grew. Some chips were as old as 7 years and stayed the same size.

I live in a warm climate so maybe that's why?

Originally Posted By: tonycarguy
Just wondering, what causes those small chips to grow into large ones? Is it just freezing temps or can something else cause it? I've had 6+ of them on all my cars and none of them ever grew. Some chips were as old as 7 years and stayed the same size.

I live in a warm climate so maybe that's why?

Stress in the glass causes them to grow. The crack started at the crack opens up to relieve the stress. The stress can come from temperature changes or car body flex.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back