Cracked my LT1 Valve Covers Open

Status
Not open for further replies.
90k on the Impala. Has had either 3k dino or Mobil 1 changed using the OCL. Have Auto-Rxed it twice and have been using Lube Control for the last 10k. Decided to put 1.6 rockers and new valve springs and seals in. First time the covers have been pulled, I was very happy with the level of cleanliness.

-

First two are the new parts.

quote:

Originally posted by bighead:
Sorry, not familiar at all with this engine, so, I'm wondering why those 2 on the left are silver and the others are...kinda red looking?
dunno.gif

Read the post, just read the post!
pat.gif

Where do you buy stamped, self-aligning 1.6 rockers? I did not know they made such a thing. I could really use a set for a project I am planning, but I did not want to spring for the cost of roller or comp roller tip rockers.

Thanks!

This is a 5.7l V8 not a 4 banger and a real Impala not one of those FWD things.

Wayne you want to explain why that rubber piece is in the left of the frame? That should have come out a long time ago
nono.gif

novadude, they are an Elgin part but a couple other companies sell them as well. Once Wayne makes his way back over here he can shed more light on it. Give him a minute he is on the Impala board now.

LOL, no, it's not a 2.0 Cavalier head. It's an LT1 small block Chevy head. As I mention in the first post, the first two, clean parts, are new. The rest are 90k parts.

This should answer questions on the parts;
http://impalassforum.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=008973

IMO, the 1.6 rockers are the best "bang for the buck" in rockers. They are as reliable and quiet as the stockers, and are only $74 shipped for a set, from Scoggin Dickey. Give the majority of the gains associated with 1.6 roller rockers.

The rubber piece, you mean the air pump hose? Well, I'm a maverick there. Giving the cats additional air makes them light off quicker, making them last longer. Just because you CAN remove the airpump, does not mean you SHOULD. IMO, GM took an easy way out on this score. They proved the cats would last long enough, without the air pump, to satisfy the EPA. That does not mean they will last long enough for me... Replace the check valves($20) every couple of years, and the air pump will last the life of the car. It costs no power, so I'll leave it... If it does break, I've got a couple of free spares. For some reason, people give them away.
wink.gif

A longer shot, after the parts were changed. Yes, my engine is dirty, I have better things to do with my time...
 -

[ May 01, 2005, 01:39 PM: Message edited by: VaderSS ]

Yeah I meant the air pump crap. Mine was dead shortly after I bought the car so I had the dealer do the TSB to defeat it and left the pieces off as I removed them for other projects. Looks like you at least did the TB bypass and that EGR looks nice and clean.

Yup, TB bypass and 6 speed EGR. Baby K&N on the air pump...

Check valves going out are what kills the air pump. Blows exhaust(which is about 50% steam) back into it. Steam condenses into water. Bye bye air pump.

Gonna be putting a set of these on;
 -

With air pump fittings, of course.
burnout.gif

I chose a different product from the same vendor, deposit made waiting for build confirmation.
The electric AIR pump was a good idea from the parisitic loss standpoint and activation standpoint but the condensation from the bad check valves sure does a number on them. I hear they make good vacuum pumps for the crankcase.

I should find half a set of 1.6s to try with my cam before swapping the heads, with just .474 lift on the intake side I could use a bump there. Now you got me thinking again. With the head swap though I am going to get funky, NSA rockers probably 1.7 intake 1.6 exhaust. Should put me right in the sweat spot of head flow and keep my cam's mellow idle. The Rotella has done a good job of quieting the roller rockers I have so noise is not an issue. If someone knows what they are listening to they can pick them out but otherwise nobody even thinks she soundes modified atall.
grin.gif

quote:

IMO, the 1.6 rockers are the best "bang for the buck" in rockers. They are as reliable and quiet as the stockers, and are only $74 shipped for a set, from Scoggin Dickey. Give the majority of the gains associated with 1.6 roller rockers.

That is EXACTLY what I want. Looks like I'll be calling Scoggin Dickey.
smile.gif

VaderSS, I think most of that discoloration is from leaking exhaust valve seals! Most of that will go away over time now that the seals have been replaced!! You might consider one or two N131 purges if it bothers you at all.

Tell us what you think of the slight increase in rocker ratio! I bet you will notice a bit more responce off idle!!

quote:

Originally posted by JohnBrowning:
VaderSS, I think most of that discoloration is from leaking exhaust valve seals! Most of that will go away over time now that the seals have been replaced!! You might consider one or two N131 purges if it bothers you at all.

Tell us what you think of the slight increase in rocker ratio! I bet you will notice a bit more responce off idle!!

That's great. Yes, the seals were replaced. Could not see pulling the old springs without changing the old seals. Takes about 15 seconds each to change. Not worried about it, but I'd guess the Lube Control will clear it up over time.

Should have her back on the road next week. I am, very much, looking forward to seeing how she behaves. Between the rockers and tubular manifolds, I'm hoping for about 25 HP 20Lb-ft. I'll certainly post on my impressions.

Should be even more noticeable, since I'm also putting new wires in, replacing tired springs, and fixing exhaust leaks. Had a burnt wire making it miss, and the 80k dyno pulls had me down about 20 HP from the 40k ones. G-Tech runs supported that as well.

The OBD-1 conversion I'm planning should give another nice little bit of pep as well.

quote:

Originally posted by JohnBrowning:

Well, I finally got it back together and have the cold air setup back on as well. My GTech is putting out absurdly low numbers(like 150, but it still did a 7 second 0-60 in 85F heat, with the tranny slipping bad on the 1/2 shift...), so I can't comment on the hard numbers there, but it definitely has more power and throttle response, across the board. With the new springs, the engine now pulls right to it's redline with no loss of breath.

Only problem is that the transmission cannot handle full throttle on the 1/2 shift now. Hoping the AutoGlide will help with that. I'll be putting that in as soon as I have some spare time again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back