cracked lining on parking brake shoe

Status
Not open for further replies.
My GF had the rear brakes (calipers, rotors and pads) done on my 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. Not sure why they did not notice the cracked lining then, is it a problem? Also they did not adjust the parking brake to the new rotor/drum. So it failed inspection. I took it back and they adjusted it. We left alone the parking brake shoes alone, so lining still has a crack. I know GF had a habit of leaving on the parking break for the first couple of hundred feet until she noticed it.

Why the crack?

Is normal. Have the shoes replaced at your next brake job. As long as the parking brakes work, don't worry about normal heat caused cracks.

I feel more stupid than usual tonight. What is a parking brake shoe? The OP talks about rear rotors/pads AND shoes.

What am I missing here. Do some cars have both rotors/pads AND drums/shoes on the rear?

Some rear disk brake set-ups use a set of brake shoes inside the rear rotors to act as a parking brake. If it were mine I'd replace the shoes, when they seperate they most likely wil lock that wheel up instantly. Be for warned those shoes aren't cheap.

Originally Posted By: Maritime Storm
Be for warned those shoes aren't cheap.

qft, and its not just being in a dealer parts dept that im jaded to pricing. all the aftermarket ones ive seen are stupid expensive for what you get.

Originally Posted By: Maritime Storm
Some rear disk brake set-ups use a set of brake shoes inside the rear rotors to act as a parking brake. If it were mine I'd replace the shoes, when they seperate they most likely wil lock that wheel up instantly. Be for warned those shoes aren't cheap.

Nah, they won't lock up the wheel.

However, I have found that when you go in reverse the broken lining moves the whole brake assembly inside of the rotor hat, causing some engagement. Making it very difficult to get out of your driveway in the morning.

Volvo has some problems on a few of the cars with the liners falling off of the shoes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back