Crab Grass

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't put down crab grass pre-emergent preventative back in March and boy have I ever paid for that mistake this summer. Frickin stuff is all over my yard. Glad the season is coming to an end!! Not really looking forward to winter, but not having to jack around with constant lawn care in 95 deg "midwest moist" heat is a welcoming thought.

Crabgrass is very easy to kill using Quinclorac by itself, not part of a lawn weed killer. But you are right, its near the end of the season and it will die soon enough.

For the spring forget Scotts and get Barricade or Dimension. That is the common name for the active ingredients. Barricade lasts a little longer but Dimension kills weeds that have germinated but are still very tiny. Some people put a second application 2 months from the first.

Should be applied when the forsythia is blooming. Also keep in mind that grass next to blacktop may warm up before the rest of the lawn and when its the right time for middle of the lawn it might be getting late for the grass next to blacktop.

Crab grass is my most reliable grass. Bermuda can really attenuate it. Then the the spray will get it faster.and easier.

Originally Posted by Donald
Crabgrass is very easy to kill using Quinclorac by itself, not part of a lawn weed killer. But you are right, its near the end of the season and it will die soon enough.

For the spring forget Scotts and get Barricade or Dimension. That is the common name for the active ingredients. Barricade lasts a little longer but Dimension kills weeds that have germinated but are still very tiny. Some people put a second application 2 months from the first.

Should be applied when the forsythia is blooming. Also keep in mind that grass next to blacktop may warm up before the rest of the lawn and when its the right time for middle of the lawn it might be getting late for the grass next to blacktop.

I live in VA near the Carolina border. Is Barricade my best option for overall weed killing? I have tall fescue. What about my timing of application?

If you have a lot of crab grass, you have to address the quality of soil in your yard that favors crab grass over fescue. All the pre-emergent in the world won't help you until you fix that.

Originally Posted by HangFire
If you have a lot of crab grass, you have to address the quality of soil in your yard that favors crab grass over fescue. All the pre-emergent in the world won't help you until you fix that.

How do I do that? We moved in in February this yr. Yard looked to be fescue then. But the crabgrass really took over by about late June. Yard is looking to be just one more thing the prior owners who lived here 16 yrs, were lazy and didn't care about.

If you want a nice lawn, get your soil analyzed so you know exactly what type of fertilizer to use and when to apply it. Your local garden store should have soil sample kits that you can send to your local conservation office for analysis. They can recommend lawn care plan for you based on your soil analysis. In the meantime, I would get a bag of grass seed and spread it on the lawn. A lawn full of grass is the best defense against weeds and crab grass. There's still time for grass to grow before winter sets in. Worst case, the seed goes dormant over the winter.

Start your lawn care in the spring once the temperatures reach above freezing at night. In the NE, the general rule is to fight weeds in the spring and grow grass in the fall. Check your region for the best time to grow grass. Since the lawn has been neglected for a while, consider aerating the lawn. That will loosen the soil and help with growing grass. Also consider raking to dethatch the lawn.

The first year is the toughest part for lawn care. Once you get the grass growing and fertilizing plan, your lawn will take care of itself. Good luck.

https://www.canr.msu.edu/news/low_maintenance_lawns_in_the_midwest

Fertilize in the fall. You want your lawn to grow roots. If you want to make hay, fertilize in the spring.

pH is the first thing you want to address. A $15 soil sample taken from small samples all over your yard will tell you if your pH needs addressing.

Originally Posted by Gebo
Originally Posted by Donald

I live in VA near the Carolina border. Is Barricade my best option for overall weed killing? I have tall fescue. What about my timing of application?

Assuming you have forsythia bushes you want to get the Barricade down during the blooming of the yellow flowers. Or measure the soil temperature with a meat thermometer and put down the Barricade when it gets to 55 F. You can spray or spread the Barricade with a broadcast spreader. The better brands have the granules small in size and that allows more even distribution. It's typically combined with a spring fertilizer if it's granular.

go to aroundtheyard.com, find the forums and spend a few hours reading....you'll learn everything you need to know.

The long term goal should be healthy soil where the grass will thrive and edge out weeds (for the most part). Mulching, chopping leaves with lawn mower, correct pH and natural fertilizer will all help. Avoid using insecticides in lawn as they can kill beneficial things like worms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back