crab grass

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's brown (dormant) from about early November until late March here. This is why weed control is so important here (if one cares about that sort of thing). There are plenty of other plants that will grow in the dormant Bermuda lawn. Trouble is that they are a real hodgepodge. Some have sharp pointy things on them, some grow three feet tall, some have woody stems, and some attract bugs you don't want. The idea of a gravel yard seems more attractive all the time.

Here is the tall grass taking over all the flower beds,

e1zBXcZ.jpg

What type is this? crab?

That ain't no crabgrass. Crabgrass is low, individually expansive and wirey.

Definitely not crab.

Could be panicum, witchgrass, or one of the foxtails. Without closer inspection, my vote goes for foxtail due to the aggressive height already this spring.

so I pull em out by hand?

foxtail, no wonder, the crabgrass spray I bought did not do jack...to these ;-)

Originally Posted By: chiefsfan1
Or spray paint it green!
Here is my small backyard.
flickr

I use a Honda HRX216HXA to mow.

chief, looks very nice! good job.

If that were my yard and I wanted to get rid of the weeds I'd use 2,4-D on the yard and Roundup on the flowerbed. Once everything in the flowerbed is dead pull it out, put a fresh layer of topsoil on, and then plant your annuals/perennials.

Then keep it weed free by spending a few minutes each week on your hands and knees doing a bit of weeding.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
I see you have those little yellow flower....my neighbor has em', and they are all over now...

I think they are perennials, I love the yellow color...

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
If that were my yard and I wanted to get rid of the weeds I'd use 2,4-D on the yard and Roundup on the flowerbed. Once everything in the flowerbed is dead pull it out, put a fresh layer of topsoil on, and then plant your annuals/perennials.

Then keep it weed free by spending a few minutes each week on your hands and knees doing a bit of weeding.

2,4-D on the yard ?

By round up you mean, ground clear? like wipe everything out and start again?

I hear you, pop, need to bring it back to shape and maintain it.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
I see you have those little yellow flower....my neighbor has em', and they are all over now...

Wonder If I'm your neighbor
eek.gif

Originally Posted By: stockrex
2,4-D on the yard ?

Yes. It's the product that's in most of the lawn weed killers-it's safe for grass but kills broadleaf weeds. Just purchase it in concentrated form and apply it once or twice. The broadleaf plants, including crabgrass and dandelions will be history.

Originally Posted By: stockrex
By round up you mean, ground clear? like wipe everything out and start again?

No, not a ground clearing product like Triox. A systemic grass and weed killer like RoundUp. That looks like a grass that has a rhizome-it will be hard to clear completely. Kill everything in there, pull out all the dead matter, and a week or so later spread a couple bags of top soil on and start fresh.

The broadleaf plants, including crabgrass and dandelions will be history.

Crabgrass is a monocotyledon. 2,4-D is selective to kill only dicotyledon plants.

My opinion is that if your lawn is 100 percent weed free, you are doing something wrong.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
The broadleaf plants, including crabgrass and dandelions will be history.

Crabgrass is a monocotyledon. 2,4-D is selective to kill only dicotyledon plants.

My opinion is that if your lawn is 100 percent weed free, you are doing something wrong.

2,4-D combined with MSMA did an excellent job on the crabgrass that was in my yard when I sprayed this spring. The year of drought that we had and year of recovery wreaked havoc; after I sprayed this year I had no crabgrass at all except where I couldn't spray because of drift.

The original poster's issue appears to be dandelion problems, which 2,4-D alone will handle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back