CR tire test results were posted on the Web

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd be curious as to how the BFG g-Force Sport Comp 2's ranked out of that list of 18 UHP summer tires. On Tire Rack they ranked them at the top of the Tier 2 of summer performance tires (Ultra High Perf. summer). Michelins ranked #1 on the Tier 1 list (Max Perf. summer). But the price difference is considerable too.

Did the Michelin Premier's top the ranking in the performance all-season category (as opposed to the ultra-high performance all-season category with the PS A/S 3+)?

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Not unexpected...

Love my PSS.

Same here.

Originally Posted By: krzyss
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/tires.htm

Subscription required.

Michelin PSS got first place in summer, Michelin PS A/S 3+ in all seasons and Yokohama W.drive V905 in performance winter.

Krzys

Expected for PSS, but Yokohama?
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
those yoko's are underachievers in testing here in Europe. But of course, nothing is as diverse as winter conditions

CR still thinks Toyota Camry is embodiment of a car.
Their tire testing (and vehicle testing) for me at least is a joke, and not even serious one.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
those yoko's are underachievers in testing here in Europe. But of course, nothing is as diverse as winter conditions

Their tire testing (and vehicle testing) for me at least is a joke, and not even serious one.

I think you have old data. It is Tesla Model S that got more than 100 points and they had to adjust scale.
There is nobody else in the USA doing their job (at least with tires).
They do favour reliable vehicles for recommendation but not for scoring and their priorities are not mine.

As far as Yokohama getting first place among winter performance tires:
neither Continental nor Goodyear sell their best tires here :-(

Krzyś

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/tires.htm

Subscription required.

Michelin PSS got first place in summer, Michelin PS A/S 3+ in all seasons and Yokohama W.drive V905 in performance winter.

Krzys

That's hilarious, given the first two are two of my favourite tires, LOL! The PSS is an amazing tire, its wet traction is simply unbelievable.

Doesn't everyone love their PSS's? We sure do. Almost weird how a tire with such a simple tread pattern gets such good traction all the time, especially in the wet...

What aspects about their tire testing program do you find fault with?

...Their tire testing (and vehicle testing) for me at least is a joke, and not even serious one.

I would disagree with 90% of that statement. But I do think their winter tire testing program is inadequate. Ice traction testing is limited to braking on ice (in an ice rink), from 12mph. Snow traction testing is limited to acceleration on snow. That's it for cold temperature testing. All other tests of winter tires are done under warm weather conditions, identical to testing of summer tires and AS tires.

Originally Posted By: ryanschillinger
What's wrong with their testing procedure? I trust CR ratings for many purchases including vehicle related items.
+1

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

While it seems CU is drifting a bit to the left, I find no fault with their testing procedure, but I don't sell Chinese tires and need to attack the CU ratings.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

All aspects and their ridiculous statements about cars. For example. When BMW introduced F15 model they said: BMW vastly improved suspension. Wrong, F15 is not going even to have LCI for F15 X5 due to controversy over suspension among traditional BMW buyers. But for CR, more floating better suspension).
So going to Yokohama. Only serious winter tire testing is done in Europe by ADAC, Auto Motor und Sport, Auto Bild, Auto Week and some other auto magazines, societies etc. What we have here in the U.S. is pretty much a joke of a testing, and yet, CR is not even up to those standards. Tire Rack has much better tire testing standards then CR. Yokohama winter tires are always below average compare to other serious snow tires in the U.S. in any other tests, and in Europe they have serious problems to keep up even to cheap Euro snow tires.
However, what CR pays a lot of attention on is price. I just never heard of them how much in money is 10ft braking distance worth in money?

I think you have old data. It is Tesla Model S that got more than 100 points and they had to adjust scale.
There is nobody else in the USA doing their job (at least with tires).
They do favour reliable vehicles for recommendation but not for scoring and their priorities are not mine.

As far as Yokohama getting first place among winter performance tires:
neither Continental nor Goodyear sell their best tires here :-(

Krzyś

Good Year sells UG SUV here. Continental in new WinterContact SI is using universal compound, same like in their new TS 860 for EU market.
Michelin has on US market PA4, Latitude Alpin.
Bridgestone is also streamlining their offers, so WS 80 is offered in the U.S as well as in EU, same as LM 001.

The biggest problem I have with CR's testing is how they publish the results. The relative scores (expressed with circles in various states of "being filled in") often leaves the reader with more questions than answers. What is the difference between an open circle (middle of the road) and a full red circle (best)? The difference in performance (such as a braking distance test) could be greater between two red circled tires than one red circled tire and one with a half red circle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back