CPU speed lower than supposed to be ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use Win XP SP2.

I have a Lenovo ThinkPad R60 laptop with the following processor:
Genuine Intel CPU T2400 @ 1.83 Ghz.
(Centrino mobile technology; Core Duo)

Out of curiosity, I got this Intel CPU identifier utility software and ran it, and it displays the current CPU speed detected as 0.99 Ghz on both cores (expected is 1.83 Ghz). another similar software CPU-Z(?) displays the same...

However, when I look in BIOS, it displays the speed as 1.83 Ghz (but is that the ACTUAL speed, or is that just displaying 1.83 Ghz because that's what it's supposed to be?)

why are the 2 software displaying less speed than it's supposed to be?

is this normal or is something wrong?
The laptop runs fine. and has 1.5GB RAM

I would be thankful for any help.

Some of the software out there does not reflect the DuoCores.
I am sure your computer is fine. Just right click on my computer and select properies. Then select harware.
Then click on device manager, scroll down until you see processors, click on that. That will tell you what you have and at what speed they are running.

Thanks LC,

actually cpu-z new version says same (0.99 Ghz).

then I got this Everest software, and it displays REAL TIME speed of the processors as they change: here is a copy of its report (displays 1.83 Ghz correctly)
----------------------------------
CPU Speed:
CPU Clock 1828.59 MHz (original: 1833 MHz)

CPU Multiplier 6.0x
CPU FSB 304.76 MHz
Memory Bus 731.44 MHz
------------------------------

(I wonder if one has to add the 2 core speeds displayed by cpu-z to get the full speed or what?)

device manager also says 1.83 Ghz. I guess I ewas just panicking...

Most laptops reduce the CPU voltage and speed when you run on battery. This extends battery life.

Yep, the new Core duos throttle the processors when not in use. So do the older Pentium Ms and all AMD processors for quite a while now. Celeron Ms and P4s did not.

go to the desktop and then right click to proporties then click on screensaver up top then go to the bottom and click on power and put the power on minimal power management! thats all it took on my core 2 duo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back