Coworker got his tank sugared

Status
Not open for further replies.
Long story short, the company I work for took over a smaller one and some of the employees from the previous owners remained at the site. There was some hostility and tension from one of them particularly, her immaturity resulted in her termination. Fast forward a couple weeks and one of my coworkers had sugar poured in his gas tank last night and he was unable to drive home.
His tank was less than half full, not sure of it's capacity but it's an older Cadillac so I'd imagine it's reasonably large. Would fill in it up to dilute the sugar help? Any additives that could go in the tank that would help dissolve the sugar?

Cadillac was to cheap to put locking gas doors on their cars? I think gasoline dissolves sugar, that's the problem.

I honestly would say get it home or to shop, drop tank, remove pump before and clean heck out of tank, as don't know if any additive would dissolve sugar in tank. Flush fuel lines and replace fuel filter and regulator also

It can and will do lots of damage. It happened to me. Carbon build up will destroy things. Tow the vehicle to a shop and remove the fuel tank and have it boiled out. If it was starte3d and driven still boil out the fuel tank, and run a heavy do9se of cleaner through it after.

Where is the evidence of sugar in the gas tank?

Is it, as suggested in the snopes article, an empty bag of sugar nearby?

Originally Posted By: SnowDrifter
You sure it wasn't bad timing for the fuel pump to take a dump or otherwise get clogged?

Poor cleanup on the part of the offender. Gas cap wasn't all the way on and the door was still open. And there was a bunch of sugar around the fill hole.
He's got a buddy that is going to take care of it for him it sounds like.

I have run into it 3 times in the shop. No long term effects. Main problem was a clogged pickup sock on the fuel pump. Pumped the gas out, dropped the tank and hit the inside with a pressure washer, let it dry, new fuel pump and fuel filter, new gas, and call it a day. I saved the gas I pumped out and ran it in my truck. Man, I love Chilton time with insurance companies footing the bill.

Any evidence of who did it? That type of immaturity deserves to be punished (...legally punished, like by the police/courts).

Originally Posted By: 1kickbuttranger
What does it do?

Sugar in the tank makes for one sweet ride.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: 1kickbuttranger
What does it do?

In reality, it acts just like sand for all intents and purposes. Sugar is insoluble in gasoline, but it is slightly soluble in ethanol, and very soluble in water. I suppose there is a slight possibility some sugar could combine with the ethanol, or more so if the fuel is water contaminated.

The old wives tail was that sugar would dissolve in the gasoline and when it made it to the combustion chamber it would burn and leave massive amounts of hard carbon deposits and ruin rings, carbon up the valves etc.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Sugar won't do anything. I know something that will though...

Thanks to Cash for Clunkers a lot of people know.

He filed a police report for vandalism. Not much that can be done since there's no actual proof of who did it. But at the very least the company is footing the bill since it occurred on company property.
Basically she thought he was out to get her job so she slandered him a bunch, that backfired and she got fired.
As for the sugar in the tank, he's got a friend that's a mobile mechanic that's been doing it for years and is going to get it sorted out for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back