coworker 2014 Acura TL

Timing chains rarely fail. Why buy something with a belt that has baked in major repairs? Also the timing components on belt engines seem to always have issues - it's not just the belt failing but the tensioner or idler pulley. I don't mind a non-interference belt motor, but I'll never own another interference motor again.
I’d agree for a ohv v6 or v8, but with current ohc motors there are plenty of chain guide and tensioner issues across several makes requiring full replacement sooner than owners like. I think ford has had a few, pretty sure a couple of the Europeans do as well.

ive had one belt issue of premature stretching; it was an aftermarket belt. Been using oem belts now since the late 90s and haven’t had any issues. I run thicker oil in the cars we have with chains - they tend to be harder on oil.

I’d agree for a ohv v6 or v8, but with current ohc motors there are plenty of chain guide and tensioner issues across several makes requiring full replacement sooner than owners like. I think ford has had a few, pretty sure a couple of the Europeans do as well.

ive had one belt issue of premature stretching; it was an aftermarket belt. Been using oem belts now since the late 90s and haven’t had any issues. I run thicker oil in the cars we have with chains - they tend to be harder on oil.
Yup. Honda K20 and K24’s and BMW N20. Have done many.

I have NEVER seen a belt break before its recommended change interval. Not once.
A good friend of mine I worked with at the ford dealer saw it several times on older Ford's with timing chains. With newer belts (my 05 Silverado had the original serpentine belt at 15 years old and 200k) they can probably go well past the service interval without a problem... But when you're unlucky and a tensioner or water pump fails.... sorry, no warning...now you need a new engine.
Also the manufacturers know most people don't open the manual or even look at the maintenance schedule...they even seem to encourage this by having lifetime transmission fluid etc...they want people to forget about opening their hood. So it spells disaster for the average person.

Back