Cow in South Carolina tests positive for mad cow disease

Thank goodness for adequate food regulations
What about food regulations for livestock? BSE originates from feeding animal-derived feed additives like meat and bone meal that arere contaminated with BSE. BSE is a prion disease very similar to scrapies and scrapies are quite possibly the origin of BSE. Grass-fed cattle can't contract BSE and is safe to eat.

What about food regulations for livestock? BSE originates from feeding animal-derived feed additives like meat and bone meal that arere contaminated with BSE. BSE is a prion disease very similar to scrapies and scrapies are quite possibly the origin of BSE. Grass-fed cattle can't contract BSE and is safe to eat.
As a matter of fact, it's been illegal in the United States to feed ruminants animal based proteins since 1997. This applies to imported beef as well.

As a matter of fact, it's been illegal in the United States to feed ruminants animal based proteins since 1997. This applies to imported beef as well.
That's my point. Regulations work only if adhered to. It seems unlikely to me that BSE found a new path to infecting cattle. I also doubt cows have started munching on dead sheep. Will be interesting to see to what cause this outbreak can be traced back.

It may be impossible to track the true source of the infection down. The BSE prions/spores can survive in the environment for a long, long time. I read of a test where samples of prion contaminated soil were still infectious after 5 years. I saw an article about BSE saying you can't kill what's not alive, and there are infected brains that have been in formaldehyde for decades that are still infectious. Scary stuff.

I wonder how one would go about disinfecting a packing plant from a protein that can "survive" in an autoclave? Burning the place down wouldn't even work.

I wonder how one would go about disinfecting a packing plant from a protein that can "survive" in an autoclave?

Probably got it from deer.

Carnivorous cows got it from carnivorous deer?

Shared processing equipment? Should not happen.
Coming in contact with contaminated deer feces could probably be enough.

Yikes. I thought this was only in Europe. I haven’t been reading about this for years…. Great, another excuse to raise prices.

The conspiracy theorist in me thinks it was a vegan climate activist did this on purpose.

Oh man I was stationed in England at the time they had their mad cow scare. I still can't donate blood since I lived there at the time and ate British beef.

Back