Cow Burps

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's funny that you posted this... My brother (engineer and very bright) was discussing this with me not too long ago.

Aparently there is a study out there that says the easiest way to reduce your Carbon Foot-print is to not eat beef because of all the methane they create, the energy used to process the beef and ship it to your locale.

The study went on to show the average beef everyone in the world eats and if everyone was to avoid beef we would decrease CO2 emissions by some astronomical number and would be like taking almost all the cars off the road or something.

I will e-mail him at MIT and see if he can reference the article for us to discuss here...

I couldn't believe what I was reading... So to answer your question, I think it's possible!
thumbsup2.gif

cheers3.gif

Steve

It's a potential fuel source. It will have to be taxed ..sooner or later ...eventually.

I'd get heavy on methane reclamation technologies ...and quick. It will be an emerging market.

Now, whether this is "real" or not doesn't matter ..at least from my observations on how things occur.

For example, I may go through one or two tanks of propane a year. Every other season the same guy tells me that my tank is obsolete and doesn't meet current safety standards. So, my former "safest tank yet" is now a hazard that needs to be eliminated from the market.

Why should cows be exempt? It would be unfair
frown.gif

I think there should be a pollution tax on Taco-Bell food then... After eating there... Look Out, I have a Methane factory of my own!
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: tig1
What about White Castle?
We don't have those up here... Or I haven't found one yet. But when I visit my friends in Kentucky we always go there and get a Crave-Case and some other bad food because it's a ritual when on vacation and it always leaves us with Taco-Bell style emissions!
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC
I think there should be a pollution tax on Taco-Bell food then... After eating there... Look Out, I have a Methane factory of my own!
LOL.gif

That's why it's called Toxic-Bell!

just think of the destuction if someone fed a cow a beef taco . You'd have a mad cow on the loose with an over active digestive system . Could be held responsible for an act of terrorism . :- )

Originally Posted By: StevieC
LOL.gif

crackmeup2.gif

Somewhere I recall something about that 9 people could eat for the feed it takes to produce enough beef to feed one person. Of course, people may not want to eat what cattle eat.

Originally Posted By: TallPaul
Somewhere I recall something about that 9 people could eat for the feed it takes to produce enough beef to feed one person. Of course, people may not want to eat what cattle eat.

Yup, cattle are good at converting inedible by humans grasses into delicious beef. Where the problem lies is when cattle are raised on food that is close to food that humans can consume directly.

Ethanol scam, HFCS, corn fed cattle....it's the same bunch of people behind all of it.

There was a classic article in New Scientist some years ago about "improving" the quality of milk.

Apparently, if you feed them grass, the fatty acid profile of the milk (and meat) is vastly improved, as is the mineral content.

I showed it to workmates (who raise beef cattle), and they were amazed that you'd even consider grain feeding dairy cattle.

As to cow flatulence, Oz herbivores have grown up on lean pickings, and have developed digestive processes and bugs that better utilise feed (and don't make methane).

Oz scientists are trying to get that to cross to cows, primarily to reduce the methane emissions.

I know that there are those on this board who will call it cooky, but imagine doubling the "fuel efficiency" of a cow, and tell me why that's bad.

Quote:
and tell me why that's bad.

Shannow: There are some here that are wondering if you can manage to maintain the methane production level without the expense of corn feeding.

Quote:
Aparently there is a study out there that says the easiest way to reduce your Carbon Foot-print is to not eat beef because of all the methane they create, the energy used to process the beef and ship it to your locale.

That doesn't make sense, because there'd be MORE cows to produce MORE methane. By eating 'em, we're helping keep the population in check...
grin2.gif

Mmmmm, steak, think I'll throw a couple 2" thick slabs on the grill, now that I read this post..
20.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back