Couple of Windows 10 questions....

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjk

Morning,

Going to try to explain this the best I can. I upgraded my laptop to Windows 10 last fall, and it has been working fine -- except for 2 issues. I can't pin this down on Windows 10, per se, so here it goes.

Using Chrome as my browser:

a. Since last fall, I've been inundated with messages (coming from my action center) from Yahoo! stating my account settings are out of date. I've gone through every part of my account, to beef up security, and I still get these messages on a regular basis. I now have an account key through my cell phone to log in, which I thought would be the end of this.... but it continues. Any thoughts? Also, I have no other Apps that Yahoo would try to access, like Outlook.. so I am stumped.

A person I know asked me to try to open up another browser (I am typing this in Edge) and see if this continues. For the few minutes I have been on, I have not seen any messages. I do vastly prefer Chrome, though.

b. I just realized this is happening both on Edge and Chrome. When I read an article with a video clip at the beginning, as I scroll down to read this article, the video clip 'follows me' down the right hand side of the screen... make sense? I vastly prefer to read, not watch videos, so this becomes a bit distracting. I've looked for some type of setting to eliminate this, but haven't found anything. This never happened on Windows 7.

Appreciate any help...

I see this happen on both Win 7 and 8.1 on some sites using Firefox. You can get plugins that will stop the video from loading if that is what you want. But I don't think you can stop it from getting smaller and following you down the page and still get the original video. I find this really annoying as usually I don't want to watch the video and just want to read the article.

Originally Posted By: mjk
Morning,

Going to try to explain this the best I can. I upgraded my laptop to Windows 10 last fall, and it has been working fine -- except for 2 issues. I can't pin this down on Windows 10, per se, so here it goes.

Using Chrome as my browser:

a. Since last fall, I've been inundated with messages (coming from my action center) from Yahoo! stating my account settings are out of date. I've gone through every part of my account, to beef up security, and I still get these messages on a regular basis. I now have an account key through my cell phone to log in, which I thought would be the end of this.... but it continues. Any thoughts? Also, I have no other Apps that Yahoo would try to access, like Outlook.. so I am stumped.

A person I know asked me to try to open up another browser (I am typing this in Edge) and see if this continues. For the few minutes I have been on, I have not seen any messages. I do vastly prefer Chrome, though.

b. I just realized this is happening both on Edge and Chrome. When I read an article with a video clip at the beginning, as I scroll down to read this article, the video clip 'follows me' down the right hand side of the screen... make sense? I vastly prefer to read, not watch videos, so this becomes a bit distracting. I've looked for some type of setting to eliminate this, but haven't found anything. This never happened on Windows 7.

Appreciate any help...

Step away from Yahoo and avoid it like the Plague.

Problem #2 is Javascript at work, coded by the website. To confirm, go to an offending site, go to your preferences/settings, turn off Javascript, refresh the browser window or tab, and check. I can pretty much guarantee that video won't follow you as you scroll.

You can't really use the modern web without Javascript enabled (for example, you won't be able to post here on BITOG), so you will have to turn it back on after your little experiment. The point being, however, that it's not Windows10 at work. Every reasonably updated browser on every reasonably modern desktop OS (mobile browser behaviour may be different, as each website is coded to act uniquely on desktop and mobile browsers).

As for Yahoo, I'm not a fan, but like many situations in the modern online world, I need an account there as some newsgroups I belong to are Yahoo based (others, of course, are Google based; same thing, I would have to have a Google account even if I didn't use mail or other features they offer). Use a unique password with both, as you should with any service that you have an eMail account with (or that functionality is built into their services, even if you don't actively use it).

The Yahoo notification could very well be legit so I would contact them directly to find out using their help line, if they have one, on their web page. Nonetheless, I would run a security scan for malware using both Malwarebytes free and AdwCleaner - these are great programs for removing PUP's that your anti-virus often misses.

Autorun video's are a pain. For Flash go into Chromes advanced settings and see if you can turn off the autorun from there.

Originally Posted By: ndfergy
The Yahoo notification could very well be legit so I would contact them directly to find out using their help line, if they have one, on their web page. Nonetheless, I would run a security scan for malware using both Malwarebytes free and AdwCleaner - these are great programs for removing PUP's that your anti-virus often misses.

Autorun video's are a pain. For Flash go into Chromes advanced settings and see if you can turn off the autorun from there.

Even if you disable autorun in the system and the associated software application(s), these videos will often still act as they do. For one, it isn't an autorun issue (they will follow your scrolling even if they are not playing; you might be able to dismiss them if the website encourages clicks, but that's the Javascript allowing it, not you or your software settings).

They are coded to run around your roadblocks. Encouraging clicks is part of the site's monetizing process.

I use Firefox and found "reader view" the most valuable tool as it removes everything except the article I'm reading. It's a little book icon on the far right of the address bar and easy to click on and off as needed. I don't use Chrome but it may have a similar tool. Also, if you want to speed up Windows 10, go into apps and disable/remove all you don't need or use. You'd be surprised how many are running in the background taking up resources.

+1 on ReaderView. I set the font to large so I can sit back in my chair and still see the text. Also much easier on the eyes with white text on a black/grey background.

I too hate those 'following video' nits. I've also noticed a large increase in sites using a box to inform me of their 'cookie' policy....as if I didn't know about cookies...what??? I kill both off using a tool in Ublock Origin...bye....bye......

The SNR continues to decline when all is targeted at the least-common-denominator, i.e. KarKrashian fanatics.

Gimme a break......

Thanks for the input.

Yesterday, I had loaded a free version of Malwarebytes, and ran it. It came up with a few things to quarantine. Since then, I am not getting hit with the Yahoo! messages.

As for the video clips, I'll just learn to live with it.

As for Yahoo!, I've had the same email address since 1998, I feel like I am locked in. The thought of changing is a bit daunting... I do have a secondary Gmail address, but rarely use it.

Thanks!

Last edited:
1. Download Opera (you can also turn on their free VPN if you wish)
Opera has built in ad block.

2. If annoyed by the stupid "autoplay" in Edge and Chrome, also download Firefox and turn it off.

Being hit with annoying forced garbage on my computers drives me NuTs and its an easy fix.
Dump Chrome and Dump Edge for your main browsing if you wish.

3. Download Adblock Plus, for Edge and Chrome, takes less then seconds to install.

4. Download "Bleachbit" and then run it to clean up ALL your browsers, it will wipe them clean and you can even elect to save your passwords.
Bleachbit = Good group of people and it REALLY is free. Even Hillary used them. :eek:)

When you think about it, the website that use this autoplay garbage are forcing you to pay for it in the additional bandwidth it needs!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back