Country Ham

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
About a year or so ago, I picked up a dry cured ham from a roadside stop along the US 13, on my way home from Norfolk. It has been hanging in my basement since. Now that it's getting cooler, and we're having lots of visitors, I figure I'll make it, then use the bone and scraps to make a LOT of split pea soup.

So I unpacked it:

CBC7E3EA-DFC4-4E0E-9FAF-C61F2913186C_zps91hzno96.jpg

No signs of maggots, beetles, worms, etc. also no mold, which is common on these.

Then I scrubbed it to get off the salt and pepper mix.

D80392AF-FCE1-48EC-910C-24759BE8DA44_zpscetgiqqh.jpg

And it has been soaking a long while...

89D58AF5-D8F1-4AEE-9D11-88150DBF6D27_zpslfkrqcwk.jpg

So, tomorrow...

Boil it or bake it?? ACV, AC, Coke, what else liquid wise?

Any suggestions?

It was smoked once already. This isn't a wet cure ham, so I think it needs a moister heat... But what do I know?

You need to soak it 12-36 hrs if uncooked.
Then you can choose to cook in water or in the oven.
Take a look at Smithfield Marketplace website on their recommendations on how to soak and then cook their country hams.

You might be surprised smoking a ham again works out very well... I smoke spiral hams that have already been "smoked". They are tremendously good. So I think this may be the case with a country ham. Though I can't handle all that saltiness
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: JayhawkRoy
You need to soak it 12-36 hrs if uncooked.
Then you can choose to cook in water or in the oven.
Take a look at Smithfield Marketplace website on their recommendations on how to soak and then cook their country hams.

Soaking is done. I timed it to hit squarely in that time frame soak-wise.

Question is what others recommend. I know what I typically do (oven), looking for what others do when making this type of ham.

Down here in my neck of the woods, country ham is rarely eaten
other than sliced thin, lightly fried, and served with eggs or
gravy for breakfast. Some will take small chunks and put in beans,
greens, or other vegs for seasoning. Being dried, it has a very strong taste, not appreciated by many not used to eating it.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out for you.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

No signs of maggots, beetles, worms, etc. also no mold, which is common on these.

Well...that's reassuring...kinda sorta (not).

Originally Posted By: tc1446
greens, or other vegs for seasoning. Being dried, it has a very strong taste, not appreciated by many not used to eating it.

That was the plan. With sweet potato biscuits.

I didn't boil it quite long enough after soaking like 15 hours... So it was still salty and strong when I baked it.

But it cut nice and went over well. We were so busy I didn't take any pics, but I do have some chunks to use with split pea soup, where the salty ham helps reduce the added salt needed...

Originally Posted By: tc1446

+1

Split pea with this shredded and chunked into it was/is phenomenal! We made about four gallons of it and still have about two...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back