Counties with emissions testing

I can't confirm personally that the Baton Rouge area has emissions testing, but I have heard many times that it does. Orleans Parish and the surrounding areas like Jefferson, Plaquemines, and St. Charles do not.

When I lived in Denver, it seemed that was all the Powers That Be cared about. No safety inspection, okay with them if your brakes were shot and your taillights out, as long as your (car's) tailpipe was clean.

Still blows my mind that an annual safety inspection isn’t required in all states.
It's required around here, but is honored more in the breach than in the observance. In Jeff Parish, the suburban area, you pretty much pay the fee and get the sticker. In Orleans, where I unfortunately live, they *used* to check the horn, lights, and even your stopping distance. Last August, when I went to the convenience store (!) near me where I brought the Buick last year, the owner remembered my car. "Anyt'ing wrong with car?" "Nope," I said truthfully. "Hokay, is $25. Have nice day."

The weird thing is that the parish with the higher-requirement "inspection" is the one more dangerous to drive in.

Back in the long ago day, you would get pulled over if any of your lights was not working and receive a ticket. Random traffic stops to ticket any cars with bald tires used to be a thing also. That stuff doesn't happen much anymore.

Back in the long ago day, you would get pulled over if any of your lights was not working and receive a ticket. Random traffic stops to ticket any cars with bald tires used to be a thing also. That stuff doesn't happen much anymore.
Yep. In Silicon Valley, fixit tickets are non-existant. Lotsa cars have no front license plate (like 2 of mine). The police and CHP are far too busy. Car pool lanes are a joke with all the cheats.

Back