counterfeiting, you can't make this stuff up

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they're expecting a US agency to do anything beyond a few ceremonial busts they would also be mistaken. They can't even police themselves. It was recently announced that the TSA hired 71 employees that were on their own "NO-FLY" list.

I'm telling everyone.... those Michelin LTX M/S tires that I bought were counterfeit.

They were so bad, they had to have been fake.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
If they're expecting a US agency to do anything beyond a few ceremonial busts they would also be mistaken. They can't even police themselves. It was recently announced that the TSA hired 71 employees that were on their own "NO-FLY" list.

Weak. It was a "no-fly" list, not a "no-hire" list.

The Chinese have no respect for patents or copyrights, they steal our technology, they cheat and take shortcuts .....and yet when a BITOGer said he wouldn't buy a Chinese made Buick (neither would I) ...he was called a 'racist'....the most overused word in our language....

Originally Posted By: Tosh

Weak. It was a "no-fly" list, not a "no-hire" list.

Ya, you're right. Just because they were bad enough to be listed on the "No-Fly" list and are being watched by various government agencies should not disqualify them from employment in the government in an agency tasked with our security. After all no one wants to damage their self esteem. We must not discriminate against those that would want to kill us. They have their rights.

It was recently announced that the TSA hired 71 employees that were on their own "NO-FLY" list.

Recently announced? No. Rather, recently claimed by a congressman who didn't have his facts straight. Big surprise there.

Actual quote from Congressman Stephen Lynch:
Quote:
Back in August, we did an investigation—the Inspector General did—of the Department of Homeland Security, and they had 72 individuals that were on the terrorist watch list that were actually working at the Department of Homeland Security.

hired 71 employees

Wrong. It was actually 73.

the TSA hired

employment in the government

Wrong. These were not employees of TSA nor were they hired by TSA in any capacity. The 73 were employees of airlines, airports, airport venders, airport contract services, etc.

The TSA is involved because they provide vetting services to determine if these individuals are suitable to work in these areas. The 73 weren't government employees.

They can't even police themselves.

The report Congressman Lynch referred to also indicated that this happened because the TSA vetting staff didn't have access to enough info from DHS.

While you blame the TSA for not "policing themselves", the real blame seems to lie in not giving them the tools to do the job they are assigned.

OneEyeJack, you seem to be really keen on pointing out problems but never seem to offer any solution. What's you solution to this one? Get rid of TSA and DHS and just let whomever work at airports? Have the airports and airlines start their own vetting process? Since you pointed out the problem, what's your solution?

I ask because, again, it seems you didn't read the article posted by the OP and in typical OneEyeJack fashion, typed out some half-cocked "facts" of dubious claim that isn't even related to the topic at hand. No mention was made in the article of a government agency policing counterfeits (the article literally did not have the word "government" in it at all... I checked). It did, however, talk to great lengths about private counterfeit investigators sometimes being in collusion with the counterfeiters themselves. Private sector... always a better alternative to the government, right?

Originally Posted By: MrHorspwer
It was recently announced that the TSA hired 71 employees that were on their own "NO-FLY" list.

Recently announced? No. Rather, recently claimed by a congressman who didn't have his facts straight. Big surprise there.

Quote:
Back in August, we did an investigation—the Inspector General did—of the Department of Homeland Security, and they had 72 individuals that were on the terrorist watch list that were actually working at the Department of Homeland Security.

hired 71 employees

the TSA hired

Wrong. These were not employees of TSA nor were they hired by TSA in any capacity. The 73 were employees of airlines, airports, airport venders, airport contract services, etc.

The TSA is involved because they provide vetting services to determine if these individuals are suitable to work in these areas. The 73 weren't government employees.

The report Congressman Lynch referred to also indicated that this happened because the TSA vetting staff didn't have access to enough info from DHS.

While you blame the TSA for not "policing themselves", the real blame seems to lie in not giving them the tools to do the job they are assigned.

OneEyeJack, you seem to be really keen on pointing out problems but never seem to offer any solution. What's you solution to this one? Get rid of TSA and DHS and just let whomever work at airports? Have the airports and airlines start their own vetting process? Since you pointed out the problem, what's your solution?

I ask because, again, it seems you didn't read the article posted by the OP and in typical OneEyeJack fashion, typed out some half-cocked "facts" of dubious claim that isn't even related to the topic at hand. No mention was made in the article of a government agency policing counterfeits (the article literally did not have the word "government" in it at all... I checked). It did, however, talk to great lengths about private counterfeit investigators sometimes being in collusion with the counterfeiters themselves. Private sector... always a better alternative to the government, right?

It's time to shut down Michigan......Oh wait didn't Michigan State do that? Or was it OSU?

Originally Posted By: pbm
The Chinese have no respect for patents or copyrights, they steal our technology, they cheat and take shortcuts .....

Completely true. and I am Asian.
China Operates on a completely different set of values. Everyone can see that.
Life is pretty cheap over there especially if you're not "somebody".
Look what happened to that poor 3 year old girl who got run over by two commercial vehicles.., and 18 people passed by her without helping. Finally one old lady helped her. She died about a week later. A lot more cases like these too. The melamine milk powder..fake rice...look it up.

They hired Chinese Nationals to investigate counterfeiting operations in China. Who would have ever thought this would go wrong. The lure of profit is blinding.

Originally Posted By: pbm
The Chinese have no respect for patents or copyrights, they steal our technology, they cheat and take shortcuts .....and yet when a BITOGer said he wouldn't buy a Chinese made Buick (neither would I) ...he was called a 'racist'....the most overused word in our language....

That's because people in today's society think the word means "anything they don't like"...

Originally Posted By: MrHorspwer

Quote:

hired 71 employees

the TSA hired

I should have stated that the hiring was approved by the TSA. The 73 number was a later number. The TSA must oversee and approve all such activity but it appears that it's just a rubber stamp. I'm not in a position to fix anything, sorry. But I can still be frustrated and express my frustration unless of course I don't have your okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back