Counterfeit Hyundai/Kia OEM Oil Filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know of an easy way to tell if a Hyundai/Kia OEM oil filter is counterfeit?

I am having problems reading the Korean misprints suggested in Hyundai's You Tube video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEfmPFRaoNo

I have several OEM filters from different sources, including Mobis, and they are all have the same weight and build quality. Of course, there are subtle variations in stampings, printing, etc. that you would expect.

Are the Mobis filters with hologram stickers the way to go?

Thanks.

Eh, hologram stickers..

everything-looks-official-with-tiny-leaves-around-it.jpg

works with hologram stickers too.
In fact, almost all of the stuff I have that has or had one of those stickers *is* a cheapo Chinese thing. They try so hard to make things look more "real", that those don't mean anything to me anymore.

As far as figuring out if a filter is counterfeit, well, good luck with that, unless you cut them open and compare to a known real one.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: knerml
Anyone know of an easy way to tell if a Hyundai/Kia OEM oil filter is counterfeit?

I am having problems reading the Korean misprints suggested in Hyundai's You Tube video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEfmPFRaoNo

I have several OEM filters from different sources, including Mobis, and they are all have the same weight and build quality. Of course, there are subtle variations in stampings, printing, etc. that you would expect.

Are the Mobis filters with hologram stickers the way to go?

The YouTube video originated in Australia where Hyundai is a major player and Mobis has to deal with counterfeiters. In North America it is really not a problem.

Mobis provides the following information if counterfeiting is a concern:

How to identify genuine parts

Originally Posted By: Gottlieb

The YouTube video originated in Australia where Hyundai is a major player and Mobis has to deal with counterfeiters. In North America it is really not a problem.

Mobis provides the following information if counterfeiting is a concern:

How to identify genuine parts

Thanks. This new link helps.

This is off topic somewhat, but I personally found it interesting that the genuine filters use a leaf spring (they called it a plate spring) instead of a coil spring to keep the filter pack tight against the tapping plate. I've read here from some that coil spring tension systems are either higher quality or better than the leaf spring tension systems, but Hyundai seems to prefer the leaf (plate) spring.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

This is off topic somewhat, but I personally found it interesting that the genuine filters use a leaf spring (they called it a plate spring) instead of a coil spring to keep the filter pack tight against the tapping plate. I've read here from some that coil spring tension systems are either higher quality or better than the leaf spring tension systems, but Hyundai seems to prefer the leaf (plate) spring.

Yes, that part the video has been discussed before. IMO, H/K's leaf spring vs coil spring retainer conclusion, is dubious at best or completely erroneous depending on ones point of view. What is interesting though, the greatest majority of filters made in China posted here, like the Driveworks and similar, use a coil retainer spring.

And before I get a correction as I'm aware of at least one exception, note I said majority of China made filters posted here, not all.

I think the only problem with coil springs is that they aren't what the genuine article uses, and happen to be what the fake uses.

I've tested every cut filter with a bypass, and never seen a problem with the leaf spring design. Or the coil spring for that matter.

While identifying a regional problem is useful, thanks to eBay and Alibaba it is only a matter of time before it becomes a North American problem.

(Love the tiny leaves meme).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back