Couldn't help myself, Tried some Redline 10w-30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
And I can't tell a bit of difference over the ACD. But why would I expect to with such a small difference in viscosity.

However, there is an interesting change in how it flows down the head. With the ACD, it was a steady smooth flow around one of the headbolts. It was hard to tell it was actually flowing. I've observed this many times and I took one last look since this is the first time I've tried a different oil since going with ACD since the car was new. The Redline had a narrower flow path yet it was deeper. I could see the flow easier because it would alternate from flowing around the bolt to taking a differnt path 3/8" away from the bolt. Very weird since flowing away from the bolt was not the easiest way down.

I've heard this before, but can anyone confirm the 10w-30 is actually a straight weight oil as in VII free?

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Originally Posted By: CharlieJ
Are you watching this from the oil fill hole?
I was wondering the same thing.

Yes. Valvecovers won't come off until it's timing belt time....hopefully.

RedLine's Race 30WT is a 10W-30 and VII free, but that formulation is different from their 10W-30 street oil.

Not sure if their 10W-30 street oil is VII free, but they do claim all of their oils contain very little/few VIIs.

Have any of your neighbors seen you with your eye against the fill hole? If they're like my neighbors, they've seen you sniffing the dipstick so many times that they probably will figure this is just part of the progression.

Originally Posted By: ericthepig
Have any of your neighbors seen you with your eye against the fill hole? If they're like my neighbors, they've seen you sniffing the dipstick so many times that they probably will figure this is just part of the progression.

My neighbors barely talk to me anymore. I spent 10 minutes sniffing the dipstick of the work truck that I filled with ACD and comparing it to the ACD on my TL's dipstick. It took me that long to realize I was being watched. If I were my neighbors I probably wouldn't talk to me either.

LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: BuickGN

My neighbors barely talk to me anymore. I spent 10 minutes sniffing the dipstick of the work truck that I filled with ACD and comparing it to the ACD on my TL's dipstick. It took me that long to realize I was being watched. If I were my neighbors I probably wouldn't talk to me either.

Lol. Do that in a more obscure area. I am assuming that the car is running when you do this, does any oil splash out? Should I attempt this?

Lol. Do that in a more obscure area. I am assuming that the car is running when you do this, does any oil splash out? Should I attempt this?

I've done it on every engine I've owned. I was actually mad when I first discovered my 4V has a baffle below the oil fill hole that prevents me from peeking under the valve cover.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT

I've done it on every engine I've owned. I was actually mad when I first discovered my 4V has a baffle below the oil fill hole that prevents me from peeking under the valve cover.
grin2.gif

Yep. Some engines like my GN will splash a very small amount out. Had to start it without the valvcoevers one time. That was fun.

The TL has absolutely nothing coming out.

Anyone dare me to run the 15w-40 in my 20wt spec'd car at the next OCI lol?

I'm a bit worried right now. I usually wipe the container perfectly clean so I can see if there's any obvious "stuff" in the oil. Today I was in a hurry and didn't wipe it clean and it sat in the backyard for 4 months. After draining the oil, there's a ton of sparkly stuff in it. I'm praying it's just dirt and I'm sure it is but now I'm kicking myself for not cleaning it.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I suggest redline shockproof 250wt in your engine next OCI.
wink.gif

You can't just go to a 250wt right away. You have to let the bearings get used to the thick oil slowly. I'll work my way up one weight at a time until I'm at the 250wt.
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
Mmmmmm bearing sparkles.

Don't get your hopes up.

Would be neat to run a clear valve covor. A strong polycarbonite might hold up to the heat for a little while. As the oil got dirty, you wouldn't be able to see much though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back