Couldn't help myself, Tried some Redline 10w-30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well,if you run straight 30 in a TL,the extra friction caused by the too thick oil will result in extra wear. The indication will be "a ton of sparkly stuff in it."

Originally Posted By: FZ1
Well,if you run straight 30 in a TL,the extra friction caused by the too thick oil will result in extra wear. The indication will be "a ton of sparkly stuff in it."

You DO realize that the "straight" 30 he ran was AMSOIL, and is actually a non-VII 10w30, but labelled as a straight 30 due to that characteristic right?

Are you gonna ever go back to a mono grade Buick? I`ve often thought about giving one a go (I almost bought a sump`s worth of RP SAE40 awhile back),but I`ll probably just stick to my goold ole tried and true 20W50 :^)

Saw lots of sparkly stuff in my oil back when I was running nothing but 10W-30 conventional/blends in my Crown Vic. Not a good oil to use during the winter.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak

Saw lots of sparkly stuff in my oil back when I was running nothing but 10W-30 conventional/blends in my Crown Vic. Not a good oil to use during the winter.

And the sky is falling too.

Lol.It was a joke.

It was no more bizarre than a lot of serious posts.
grin2.gif

it is hard to tell anymore. when this place was smaler it was easier tp track personal preferences and personalities. it is harder to keep track of the subtleties

{Big Brother was here...} is that you?
LOL.gif

Let's keep it non-personal Pete. . .

Last edited by a moderator:
As you know I had great luck with the RL 10W-40 in my turbocharged LT-1 camaro. Nothing as far as OCI's, but the tear down results were amazing for the use experienced by this powerplant.

Are you planning to stick with it for a few OCI's?

Originally Posted By: AzFireGuy79
As you know I had great luck with the RL 10W-40 in my turbocharged LT-1 camaro. Nothing as far as OCI's, but the tear down results were amazing for the use experienced by this powerplant.

Are you planning to stick with it for a few OCI's?

I don't like switching brands so I'll probably stick with it indefinately. It's overkill for sure in a TL but that's ok. I broke the GN again but once it's up and running I plan to use their 40wt or 50w in it. From what I remember, that LT-1 was making more hp per cylinder than my GN, right? That's partly what's giving the courage to try it.

BuickGN, regarding your Q about whether this is a straight 30 weight, the KV100/HTHS certainly seem to indicate it is. Also it is fairly widely accepted that only the 5W40 uses VIIs (this was prior to redline's 0wX oils however). I remember seeing at least one post where the OP stated they heard this directly from redline.

The best way to verify this is to call Dave at redline and ask him IMO. You can get the number from the contact page on redlines website. They seem to be real accessible and happy to answer Q's. If you want more detail tell the lady you want to talk to Roy Howell, the chemist.

Here are the kv100/HTHS values for some 10W30s as calculated by jpr in this thread http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1118409

** 10W30 **
Redline Synthetic 10W-30 2.82
Mobil Mobil 1 10W-30 3.18
Mobil Mobil 1 High Mileage 10W-30 3.22
Shell Quaker State Peak Performance 10W-30 3.28
Shell Pennzoil Multigrade 10W-30 3.35
Mobil Mobil 1 Extended Performance 10W-30 3.45

Never mention the smell of your dipstick around other people.

RE;Now that's using your dipstick. lol

Last edited:
Sniffing the dipstick in front of an audience is almost as funny as standing in the parts house and blowing into oil filters while everyone's watching.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back