Couldn't figure out why my Phillips rotary razor wasn't shaving well

I'd normally just rinse it out and hope it would do well. But for some reason it seemed really sluggish for a while and I wasn't getting a very good shave. I was thinking that I hadn't replaced the heads in years and maybe I needed new ones.

Then I figured that I should have a closer look and then found there was a mass of some gelatinous stuff just absolutely stuck on all three heads. I removed them and it certainly didn't rinse out easily. I needed a toothpick to scrape that out as much as I could. Obviously just dead skin and oils that just sort of clumped and prevented everything from working well. After that it was like I had new heads. Wondering why I didn't think of this earlier as I've had it for years. But I never saw it that nasty.

I would have used the sink sprayer on needle spray full hot. that usually takes care of business.

you using any new products? change procedure? wash after not before etc?

on my arc 3 you just put a pump of hand soap under the foils turn on the water to a low stream then run it.

I do this (take it apart and clean out the gunk with a stiff brush) to mine every time I charge the battery, once every 1-2 months. IME, no amount of soap, hot water or water pressure will do the job. It needs to be physically scrubbed with a brush.

I have 3 different Norelco razors, I don't think they can be beat for speed and ease of use. I had always been a Remington or Braun user, but I bought one Norelco and never looked back. The cut good and they are fast. What else can I ask?

I have 3 different Norelco razors, I don't think they can be beat for speed and ease of use. I had always been a Remington or Braun user, but I bought one Norelco and never looked back. The cut good and they are fast. What else can I ask?

There have been some criticisms over the years that their "lift and cut" system might lead to ingrown beard hair as well as irritation. With the double blades, the thinner leading blade is designed to not necessarily cut through the hair but to lift it up the hair out the follicle, then the thicker blade cuts it off while it's pulled out. Some think that pulling the hair out like that can be pretty irritating, although usually the user gets used to it. But certainly after a shave one usually can't feel any hair because it effectively cuts it below skin level.

FEA_0000937-FIL-global-001

About once a year, totally disassemble, clean and oil your shaver. The motor likely is not spinning up to full speed so the blades won't cut very good.

Gotta agree with vwmaniaman. The spinning blades work better than any "back 'n forth" foil shaver in my experience.

~40 years ago our Dad bought a fairly basic Norelco for himself, my brother and me.
Bro wore his out (the drive side) from daily use, took Dad's as he had died, and wore that one out.
I never took to the electric so I gave him mine. It too went to the great appliance graveyard.
No problem as they were cheap units.

Because the electric was handy and effective I shopped for one for myself and I gotta say the purchasing urge for an electric razor faded rapidly and repeatedly. A real blade cuts so well with one pass, the necessary going over and over with the "Floating Heads", while acceptable and good for some settings, can be just too slow a process.

My beard doesn't resemble the symmetric, cylindrical shafts depicted in commercials.

Hit it with some brake cleaner every month. In all seriousness, when I used an electric I would soak it in rubbing alcohol overnight once a week.

i tried rotary a couple times.. I really like my panasonic arc 3, I tried the arc IV but its abit bulkly went back to the arc 3 after 3 years.

You have to buy the good model they have various rpm models.. IIRC its the 8103

edit found it!

This one looks interesting too.. but I have dedicated trimmer already

I finally figure it's time to retire mine after over 15 years. Phillips/Norelco no longer makes replacement blades, and I'm kind of surprised that the battery (NiMH I think) hasn't given out.

I actually got this one at Target for $34.99 and tax. Online it says that regular price is $99.99, but at the store the tag said that the regular price was $79.99. I don't need all the bells and whistles. Also - I think what I paid was about what a set of OEM replacement blades would cost.

GUEST_fd6e8a6e-c0e2-4276-88ec-495cbe1fa05b

It is a little bit different than what I'm used to with that little "neck" with the rotating shaft. The head just pulls out, and if I want to use the trimmer I just pop that in, rather than an integrated trimmer on the back. I do wonder how long the lithium-ion battery will last.

i tried rotary a couple times.. I really like my panasonic arc 3, I tried the arc IV but its abit bulkly went back to the arc 3 after 3 years.

You have to buy the good model they have various rpm models.. IIRC its the 8103

edit found it!

This one looks interesting too.. but I have dedicated trimmer already

I bought the Arc4 right after it initially came out and it’s still going this day. The blade replacements are pricey though unless you get the cheaper Amazon ones that don’t last.

As for buildup on the blades, that seems to be normal if you use the shaver with cream or gels. I was using Nivea gel and it left a bluish green residue on the blades. A pump of soap and running under hot water cleans them up quickly.

I used to use a rotary but bought a Panasonic ES-LV95 S811 wet and dry and never looked back. It cost a lot of wood but it is made in Japan and the quality shows it.

Phillips claims that many of their razors are made in the Netherlands (my new one says that), although with some imported parts. Not sure if it would meet the US FTC requirement of at least 75% of the value of parts and manufacturing. The power supply is made in Asia though. Mine says made in Vietnam, and even 15-20 years ago Phillips was packing ones marked as made in Asia.

Back