Could synthetic have saved this Camry?

I get the low tension piston rings are in general an issue as it's not just Toyota that has oil control ring issues. However couldn't a steady diet of synthetic saved them from sticking instead of 5k/OCI of bulk? It seems to me with the heavy amount of varnish built up that it really could have. Discuss

If serviced at dealer or indie, 5k bulk oil changes could've been with 'unknown grade' or 'type' regardless of whatever was put on the slip.

A proactive owner can save any engine.

I've got one of those "oil burners" an 07 2AZ-FE in an 07 camry, just shy of 300,000 miles. Burns a quart every 5000 miles, it has done that since day one. They aren't all oil burners It depends a lot on usage as well. Any rules that say its only the 0w20 oil or any other "rules" are nothing but anecdotal.
Since day one it's had almost exclusively M1 0w20 AFE every 5000 miles like clockwork.
its had a good combination of highway and stop and go traffic over the years and occasionally gets it clock cleaned passing people at WOT

I've got one of those "oil burners" an 07 2AZ-FE in an 07 camry, just shy of 300,000 miles. Burns a quart every 5000 miles, it has done that since day one. They aren't all oil burners It depends a lot on usage as well. Any rules that say its only the 0w20 oil or any other "rules" are nothing but anecdotal.
Since day one it's had almost exclusively M1 0w20 AFE every 5000 miles like clockwork.
its had a good combination of highway and stop and go traffic over the years and occasionally gets it clock cleaned passing people at WOT
That’s fantastic, but 1Qt/5K miles is not considered an oil burner. Congratulations on the 300K achievement. You’re doing a great job. Yes, some cars just burn some oil like yours does.

Wondering if a good piston soak on the YouTube Video 300K Camry would have made a difference?

That was my point. I've seen a brand new Lexus at Jiffy Lube or Audi at Firestone locally and you know **** well they aren't using the right oil because if they were it would be more than the dealership price!

FWIW, my car saw almost exclusively 5W-30 “synthetic” of PP/M1/Vavoline SynPower with some conventional(PYB, QS at the 1K mark after break-in, VSBML red bottle). It still didn’t stop the engine from drinking oil but at nearly 200K I’m around 3-4K/1qt depending on oil.

Low-tension rings don’t tolerate carbon/sludge that well. Toyota didn’t include enough drain holes for the oil rings.

I get the low tension piston rings are in general an issue as it's not just Toyota that has oil control ring issues. However couldn't a steady diet of synthetic saved them from sticking instead of 5k/OCI of bulk? It seems to me with the heavy amount of varnish built up that it really could have. Discuss

You probably didn't pay attention to the whole video. Start at around 13:22, as he shows the inherent flaw of the 2AZ engine that causes the oil burning.

Also, around 17:00 minutes, he makes a comment about the varnish, which he said wasn't that bad.

For a 300,000 mile engine, using likely mostly Group III engine oil, what do you expect?

Last edited:
Back