could MC FLA-1 filters go 6000 plus miles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings:

I was considering changing my Motorcraft FLA-1 oil filter at the twicw within the same fresh oil change. In other words once with 5 qts of fresh PP, and then change the filter again at say 3,000 miles. And at 6,000 miles start over with 5 qts of fresh pp 10w-30 oil and a new filter. My PP oil seems to get a dirty around 2800-3000 miles. The oil itself still seems to be pretty stout. So I figured, if I change the filter midway that it may clean up things a bit more. My 93 ford explorer 4.0 has almost 170,000 original miles on it, and runs very smooth! Thanks in advance! What say you/
?

Best Regards

You could go 6k miles on both the oil and the filter. The PP lube and the MC filters are proven time and time again in UOAs to be stellar performers.

As a generalization, filters will become more efficient as they mature. The "best" use of any filter media is to continue use, until the flow rate reduction would approach a condemnation point. The more stuff that gets trapped in a filter, the ever-better it becomes. 3k miles on a good filter is a total waste. You can easily do 6k miles. There are some people here that actually will change oil every 5k miles, but filters every 10k miles, and I see some reasonable logic in this. In essence, if you change filters every 3k miles rather than 6k miles, you are actually stepping backwards in filtration efficiency to some degree, and certainly wasting money.

The visual appearance of oil gives no ability to indicate how much life is left in the lube or the filter, and I truly mean zero ability. "Color" is not a viable way to judge the health of a normal lube system. It is true that "abnormal" coloration is an indicator of problems (for example, tranny fluid that is dark brown and smells "burnt", when it should be a rose-red and smell pungent-sweet). But engine oil getting dark, and then black, is "normal" because it simply means the lube is doing it's job in catching and encapsulating contaminants, thereby reducting the harm they can do.

Last edited:
like newton said, many of us change the filter every other time, have for years. the filter gets MORE efficient as it ages, until it gets totally clogged, but that doesn't usually happen for a long long time. especially with the ample size of an FLA-1, and the sturdy construction of MC products generally. If you're worried the oil is too black, change it a bit sooner, like with YB instead of synthetic, or with MC semi synthetic, or use a cheaper synthetic, like NAPA when it's on sale.

My son has a 91 Ranger,3.0, with 333,000 miles on the OD. He uses M1 and M1 filter and changes both at 10-13,000 mile OCI. If your engine is very clean inside a good synt. should go the full 10,000 miles on the OC and the same filter.

Your son's Ranger has the same 3.0L Vulcan that most Taurus's (Tauri? Tauraussessessess?) have. Excellent engine.

At 333k miles, it's probably just broken in ...
LOL.gif

Last edited:
OCIs of my '94 LS400:
dino: 6k/6mo with filter changed on second oil change
Syn: 12k/12mo with filter changed every oil change

Filter used: Motocraft FS400S, Bosch, Denso, Proline (FAR) ...

The rationale behind changing the filter with every oil change has been more to get the remainder of the dirty oil out than because the filter was used up. Change the oil and not your filter and you leave 20% of the dirty oil in your engine. I still change both at the same time, mostly out of habit from when I was a kid. Filters are cheap enough to just change the whole enchilada at once.

Your FL1A is going to be just fine for 6k. I run mine on my 5.8L E350 for 5k every time and the filter holds together well inside. The pleats are strong, and the seam is metal crimped. Not to mention a base relief valve. Only drawback is it has a nitrile anti drainback.

I once had an old 95 aerostar 4x4 with a 4.0L. Have 230k on it and ran fine.

It will go 15k+ ..any filter will. It just needs 15k to be void of too much warm up/fuel enrichment and done in a reasonable time span. No throw away filter I know will do 6k over 6 years. ..or 3k over 3 years of daily driving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back