Could it be the torque converter?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay so I own a 2008 chevy silverado 1500 LT with a 5.3 flex fuel. I started hearing a strange whine noise when im driving. If im in drive i can hold the brake and hit the gas and itll make the noise or while im driving its a continuous whine that goes up or down in tone during acceleration. When it is in park however, the whine is non existant! Ive had a few of my mechanics put me up on the lift to scope it and they say its the loudest at the torque converter. We dropped the tranny pan and did the filter and gasket and flushed it. There wasnt really anything in the except the normal crap. My transmission shifts beautifully and the tranny service has always been done on it. So now I am at a loss for what it could be. When I bought it I was told it had a one inch leveling kit on the front and ive looked around and found that sometimes it can make the oem cv axles and wheel bearings fail but it wasnt gradual it was all of a sudden. And i didnt start hearing the noise until i realized that my left cv axle and wheel bearing had failed so i had both front cv axles and wheel bearings done. It still makes the noise. I have been told by others that it could be one of the differentials or the transfer case but I am at a loss for what it could be! HELP!! I am so confused and worried my truck is going to give up on me! I cant afford the engine or transmission going out ...©

Last edited:
It'll be the pump. I had the same noise when I tried Dexron VI fluid in my 240 and it thinned out too much when hot - it was the pump struggling. If you take the car to a transmission shop they can test the pressure.

It makes the noise , when you hold the brakes ( vehicle stationary ) & rev the engine ? Not suspension , transfer case , differentional , CV shafts or wheel bearings . None of those things would be rotating .

I an just a DIY'er , but I agree . Either front pump or torque converter . Either way the transmission has to come out .

Did you say how many miles on the truck ?

I would be looking around for a skilled / honest transmission shop .

Depending on the miles on the clock ( and the condition of the rest of the truck ) , I would be scratching my head . Trying to decide whether to just repair it or to install a re-manufactured transmission .

But , I would do something pretty soon , before the pump , or the TQ fail and shed metal into the whole system .

Best of luck to you . :-0

PS pump. Front diff on its way out. Drain and fill front diff. If there's a lot of metal on the bolt, if the fluid is black or milky, you have the answer.

Thank you everyone for your opinions! I have a new torque converter but before i install it i will have a transmission shop test the pressure in the trans pump. The truck is in great condition and it has 128,646 miles. I know that the tranny service has always been done when it calls for it and i just did it again with a tranny flush. It didnt help the sound or make it worse. But I am hoping I can get a for sure answer on it that way I can get it fixed before it causes issues. Ill also have the differentials serviced too to be safe. I just dont like hearing new noises come from my truck as I have always taken excellent care of my vehicles. Its just frustrating when I cant figure it out! Someone even thought it could be the rear diff reverberating sound to the front but that seems a little weird to me. So I will havethese services done and hopefully get a right answer and can finally fix it! Thank you everyone!

If the noise isn't present in park/neutral......It very well could be the Torrington Bearing inside the Torque Converter. This isn't very common on 300mm 4L60E Converters used in fullsize trucks as it is with 278mm Converters used in the Trailblazer/Envoy platform. Still a very possible failure regardless!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back