Could it be said that....?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This whole forum could be retired and everyone who really doesn't know what to do could take the "canned" advice to just:

1.)Only use full synthetic if required by MFG OR if operating in extreme temps OR if you want to do an extended OCI(unless you conscienciously want to pay more for the full-syn but plan to stick to MFG OCI)

2.)Use the dino or blend of your choice and change at the interval recommended by MFG & a quality filter

3.)Use the weight recommended by MFG excpt in cases of older, out of warranty motors that you must use a thicker oil in to stop consuption or to build pressue

4.)Use HM oil for motors that "need it" (leaks, noise, etc.)

5.)When in doubt use Pennzoil (I had to throw that in since folks love it on here :))

5.)If still in doubt, do UOA and you have more time & money than I do my friend!

I am sure I left something out but it is a good basic set of rules maybe?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bryanccfshr
Yup. But then once past that initial education there is the entertainment we get debating the munitia

Actually it's minutia .

Well, if the board had been retired we would have never know you and that would have been a shame. Always good to meet new folks and share ideas. If nothing else it keeps us from having to wash the dishes.

Pretty close with your list. But..
grin2.gif

1. Plenty (as in MILLIONS) people using conventional oils in 110+ and WELL below freezing with no problems..

2. Most conventional oils are real close to being blends when compared to yesterdays oils. Most filters are fine. (if it meets the OEM spec)

3. Thicker oil IF you have issues like excessive consumption or pressure problems.

4. excellent. No need for it if the engine is doing fine.

crackmeup2.gif

If all these people who waste $$ on running an oil xxx miles or x months went ahead and did a UOA and then ADJUSTED their OCI they WOULD save the $$ EASY for the cost of the UOAs IMO.

Plus they many catch a problem coming up and SAVE the engine. (I'm one of those people spending $30 on a $5 oil change that saved him $1200 and a engine)

Take care, bill

Originally Posted By: john1944
Yup. But then once past that initial education there is the entertainment we get debating the munitia

Actually it's minutia .

Thank yew :)

You speak as if it's logical... In reality a lot of us around here are simply OCD about oil. We buy the best stuff we can find on the best sales we can find and line the bottles up in our garage. When we use five bottles for an oil change, we start searching the stores for the next sale to fill up our stash again!

I've learned to hide my obsession... all the funny looks I get when I ask, "what kind of oil do you run in that?" Although one person heard I was an oil junkie and actually called for some advice on what oil to use in her old Mercedes. I thought I'd died and gone to heaven!
banana2.gif

Originally Posted By: Scout1
You speak as if it's logical... In reality a lot of us around here are simply OCD about oil. We buy the best stuff we can find on the best sales we can find and line the bottles up in our garage. When we use five bottles for an oil change, we start searching the stores for the next sale to fill up our stash again!

I've learned to hide my obsession... all the funny looks I get when I ask, "what kind of oil do you run in that?" Although one person heard I was an oil junkie and actually called for some advice on what oil to use in her old Mercedes. I thought I'd died and gone to heaven!
banana2.gif

I have done the same...conversed intentionally with strangers about their oil...usually in the approriate venue though (like a parts house, tire shop, etc.) But on occasion I discuss with people in line at Wal-mart or friends & family who think oil-is-oil...well maybe they are smarter than we think :)

I always thought this was a nice place to hang out where people with all makes got along pretty well. That's probably what I'd miss the most. Everywhere else people just bash everything but the forum make.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: john1944

Actually it's minutia .

Thank yew :)

Yew welcome :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back