Could Hyundai-Kia overtake Honda & Toyota?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some people are projecting it...

I think it's possible when you look at the last couple years and the advancements they have made.

Quite likely. I know a number of people who a few years ago would have purchased a Civic or Corolla have now purchased Elantras.

I know there are some haters but I see this happening.

I have been a big fan of both Toyota & Honda. We have had a Camry, Accord, Tacoma, Highlander & Celica over the years. We just bought our first Korean car, a 2011 Kia Sportage and we are constantly amazed at the quality. I really enjoy the price, quality and warranty. I think they really have something here.

The new Sonata/Optima, WOW! Great looking car, I thought it was a Lexus or BMW when I first saw one.

Considering how Honda has been faltering lately I would think it very possible in the next decade, but I think over taking Toyota is much less likely, Toyota has problems but they are still such a global force and have so many resources I don't see Hyundai surpassing them in the future.

How would the Nissan's fit into this "list". I just bought a 2010 Nissan Altima and I REALLY like it. I was a toyota truck guy, but I can't afford them any more.

Honda and Toyota have been spanked badly this year.I think their heyday is over.Everything comes in cycles,and they have been on top for too long (since the 80s) for it to last forever.Especially with them cheapening product as badly as they have been,and suffering recalls because of it. KIA and Hyundai dont impress me either though.I saw a 4-5 year old KIA SUV recently and it had a large rust hole thru the rear door.The question is not how KIA/Hyundai is made today,its how it holds up tomorrow....

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Honda and Toyota have been spanked badly this year.I think their heyday is over.Everything comes in cycles,and they have been on top for too long (since the 80s) for it to last forever.Especially with them cheapening product as badly as they have been,and suffering recalls because of it. KIA and Hyundai dont impress me either though.I saw a 4-5 year old KIA SUV recently and it had a large rust hole thru the rear door.The question is not how KIA/Hyundai is made today,its how it holds up tomorrow....

Bingo. For my money I would still by a Civic over the korean equivalent. Honda has been around a l-o-n-g time, has a race heritage and a bullet-proof motorcycle record.

Originally Posted By: sw99
Some people are projecting it...

I think it's possible when you look at the last couple years and the advancements they have made.
The only thing in this world that is assured is change. Every great company rises and falls. It's nature's way of keeping things from stagnating.

honda and toyota have fallen victim to the same mind set gm,ford and chrysler fell into years ago, they were so big they felt they couldn't be bested, then they got past up by honda/toyota, once things have been so good for so long human nature kicks in and we stop trying so hard, get lazy. this is where toyota and honda are now, we all learn lessons the hard way and their time has come, the big three are coming back but only after getting kicked in the junk first.

According to OICA (International Organization of Motor Vehicle Manufacturers), in 2010, Hyundai was in 4th place worldwide. This put them ahead of both Honda and Nissan. The top 5 in 2010 were:

1. Toyota
2. GM
3. Volkswagen
4. Hyundai
5. Ford

Link here.

I think they could, but they still have some progress to make.

I have not been happy with the reliability of my 2007 Sonanta. It has quite a few problems, although they are relatively small. Still, I don't think a car with only 70k miles should really have any problems.

Originally Posted By: needsducktape

Bingo. For my money I would still by a Civic over the korean equivalent. Honda has been around a l-o-n-g time, has a race heritage and a bullet-proof motorcycle record.

I'll add that even though I think Honda has slipped the products are still very competitive and I agree because Honda has a long track record of producing good quality, durable and generally trouble free vehicles I STILL would buy any Honda over any Hyundai/Kia product.

Not to mention that even still Hyundai and Kia products still don't have the decent handling qualities that Honda do.

Toyota of today has pretty much nothing in common of Toyota of the mid 80s through the mid 90s, where they made some of the best designs ever. Now their cars are just horrible, ugly, plastic and cheaply built. I don't know what to replace my '96 Lexus with - I don't like any of their newer models.

Originally Posted By: OldCowboy
According to OICA (International Organization of Motor Vehicle Manufacturers), in 2010, Hyundai was in 4th place worldwide. This put them ahead of both Honda and Nissan. The top 5 in 2010 were:

1. Toyota
2. GM
3. Volkswagen
4. Hyundai
5. Ford

Link here.

I don't know the full rankings for 2011, but I do know that GM is #1 in worldwide sales this year. Toyota fell to like, #3 or something.

All the japs had their huge advantage of the government controlling the YEN so they could wipe out the worlds car makers. But now it's not the case so when you have to compete on even ground you have to save money in places where you used to build a more robust product but it costs you 3.5 times less when finished. That can help you SO much but the Korean's still have that advanage so look out in the long run. The Korean's have also been in third world markets where some of the japs now are starting really pay attention to markets were the Korean's have been pushing for along time.

Last edited:
Just based on the current lineup? Probably.

Hyundai has a full size RWD V8 luxury sedan. (2 if you count the Equus and the Genesis sedan separately)

Honda has....ummmm....an aging FWD/AWD V6 RL.

Hyundai has a RWD turbo4/V6 sport coupe.

Honda has.....ummmmm......a minivan with a little truck bed?

With Toyota, the lineup is a little better matched but as we've seen with the Sonata and the Camry, Toyota is definitely in Hyundai's sights. The Equus went straight for the Lexus LS460. And in some ways, they succeeded in besting the Japanese luxury king. The valet isn't going to park your Equus in a prominent spot like he would a LS460L, after all, it is just a Hyundai. But you get a car that is as quiet, as smooth, as luxurious...as everything for less than a base LS460. And that's just what Lexus did to Mercedes Benz with the first LS400 over 2 decades ago.

Originally Posted By: Spazdog
Just based on the current lineup? Probably.

Hyundai has a full size RWD V8 luxury sedan. (2 if you count the Equus and the Genesis sedan separately)

Honda has....ummmm....an aging FWD/AWD V6 RL.

Hyundai has a RWD turbo4/V6 sport coupe.

Honda has.....ummmmm......a minivan with a little truck bed?

With Toyota, the lineup is a little better matched but as we've seen with the Sonata and the Camry, Toyota is definitely in Hyundai's sights. The Equus went straight for the Lexus LS460. And in some ways, they succeeded in besting the Japanese luxury king. The valet isn't going to park your Equus in a prominent spot like he would a LS460L, after all, it is just a Hyundai. But you get a car that is as quiet, as smooth, as luxurious...as everything for less than a base LS460. And that's just what Lexus did to Mercedes Benz with the first LS400 over 2 decades ago.

Respectfully, I disagree about the LS400 comparison.
The LS400, when introduced in '89, absolutely TROUNCED the luxury car establishment by introducing a car that set new standards for quality, performance, refinement and smoothness. The fact that it was a lot cheaper than the Mercedes/BMW/Jaguars of the day helped propel the model into a brand that is now at the head table with all of the prestige manufacturers.

The Equus is merely a "me-too" design, that does not innovate - it just merely attempts to replicate and reverse-engineer technology to a lower price point. What it succeeds at is being a superb town-car along the lines of the Ford Panther platform vehicles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back