Could GM revive Saab as an all-EV, a la the "GMC Hummer"?

I think it’s kinda funny that the Mustang Mach-e GT everyone seems to hate will do 0-60 MPH in 3.5 sec., but the “real” Mustang GT with a V8 can only do it in about 3.9 sec.

It’s probably why they’re working on an AWD Mustang so they can launch like EVs.

I think it’s kinda funny that the Mustang Mach-e GT everyone seems to hate will do 0-60 MPH in 3.5 sec., but the “real” Mustang GT with a V8 can only do it in about 3.9 sec.
ok and? it’ll still get murdered in a roll past 90mph, it’s not a taycan. hitting 10 year old tesla performance benchmarks isn’t very impressive

Last edited:
ok and? it’ll still get murdered in a roll past 90mph, it’s not a taycan. hitting 10 year old tesla performance benchmarks isn’t very impressive

I’m not saying it’s impressive.

I’m saying it’s ironic.

I think it’s kinda funny that the Mustang Mach-e GT everyone seems to hate
Personally I think it's great Ford came out with an EV. Tesla needs competition.
I just think they just blew it calling it a 'Stang.
Regardless, the Ford guys will love it. And forget all the their Tesla bad rap... Ha!

Saab effectively died once GM got involved, and the native 900 and Type Four platforms were replaced by GM's. Even the latter was a joint development with the Italians. The final indignities were the 9-2X Saaburu and the 9-7X TrailBlazer, joining the Opels in drag.

Volvo fared better under Ford. It at least was something to be plundered from, and not just to serve up reheated leftovers from Ford's fridge, but it, too, was eventually cast onto the street, where it got lucky and was adopted by a new parent who nursed it back to health.

Whatever the merits of the Mach-E may or may not be, it's not a deeply hidden part of history how Ford likes the Mustang badge so much, and won't hesitate to apply it to something decidedly un-Mustang. While the Pinto-II is often presented as a classic case of misjudgement, the Probe escaped that fate, even though was actually a pretty decent car. But it wasn't, and isn't what people saw as a Mustang.

The rumblings are that GM wants to establish Corvette as its own sub-brand. That will be interesting.

I can see that. Chevy or GMC trucks/vans and Corvette toss the rest. Depending on the political climate over the next years I can see the SUV going the way of the dodo.

I know that the Saab marque had some fans. But it also had a pretty poor reputation for reliability and parts availability. My brother in law received a Saab 900 in payment of a debt and gave it to my elderly mother who needed a car.
I went through it to make sure that everything looked good and it wouldn't leave her stranded somewhere. That experience left me greatly underwhelmed and I can see why the previous owner wanted to get rid of it.

If GM were to revive the name, they had better plan on spending tens of millions of dollars on a public relations campaign to see if there are any suckers out there in 2021 that would buy anything with Saab's name on it.
GM would be better off putting that money towards designing and manufacturing a competitive EV of their own, and I'm not very confident that they will ever achieve that either.

They had very good reliability, were super strong and parts are still available. The problem with these cars (and most euro cars) is more the people trying to work on them and causing more issues than they fix. Once you understand how they are built and how to repair them they are no problem, they are not what you call a shade tree friendly vehicle though. .

Look at the old, basic Saabs. The 95, 96 and 900 were great, unassuming cars as were the old Volvos like the 140 and 200 series.
Then the marketeers got the idea to go posh. The prices shot up and the consumer got less.

Cars for people isn't the goal. They market cars for max profit. That a Saab 9-5 had a sticker price topping $40,000 was absurd. What did the 9-7 list for? What did the Oldsmobile Bravado list for? These people are evil clowns.

I had almost forgotten about that rolling colostomy bag. Pinto based wasn't it.
Yup, the Pinto-stang! All the power and performance of a geriatric shetland pony with an appearance package that would rival the shadiest of street workers in Thailand.

This a Saab 96 just like the one I had except mine was a dark green. VW bugs had no better quality. A real Saab made by an airplane manufacturer. It could carry quite a lot too. When you knocked on the metal it was solid. I drove it cross country once.
GM no longer has the name to use according to what was said here so why do people keep saying what if GM etc? I hope they retain the name as the aircraft company and don’t let it be used as a marketing tool only like so many other old names gone to China.

1613321367536.jpeg

I know that the Saab marque had some fans. But it also had a pretty poor reputation for reliability and parts availability. My brother in law received a Saab 900 in payment of a debt and gave it to my elderly mother who needed a car.
I went through it to make sure that everything looked good and it wouldn't leave her stranded somewhere. That experience left me greatly underwhelmed and I can see why the previous owner wanted to get rid of it.

If GM were to revive the name, they had better plan on spending tens of millions of dollars on a public relations campaign to see if there are any suckers out there in 2021 that would buy anything with Saab's name on it.
GM would be better off putting that money towards designing and manufacturing a competitive EV of their own, and I'm not very confident that they will ever achieve that either.
To be fair, SAAB was doomed before GM took over. GM took over in the hopes that the brand would flourish. SAAB was more valuable from an engineering perspective than it was as an automaker, so GM wanted in on that. SAAB is, was, and always will be a niche brand. I mean they were designed and engineered by airplane engineers. SAAB also had terrible rust issues. They were some of the worst cars I had ever seen when it comes to rust. It was remarkable how quickly they rusted. The newer ones were obviously better. They tended to be expensive to purchase as well.

Volvo on the other hand faired much better. They were more affordable and Volvo was the pinnacle of safety. This bode well with the emerging yuppie demographic and Volvo flourished during the 80’s-90’s. At this point in time Volvos were reliable, low tech, no frills automobiles. Sometime in the 90’s Volvo started installing nicer interiors and emerged into a premium near-luxury brand.

Volvo is here today because it evolved and revolutionized its image to meet the needs and expectations of buyers. SAAB failed to do that, they wanted to remain quirky and different from everyone else.

Back