Could GC hold up to a track day in the summer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I plan on taking my Audi S4 4.2V8 up to connecticut this summer for some track time and want to know if I should swap it out for a RL or Motul race oil for the weekend. I don't plan to be driving like Haans Stuck on the Nurburgring but will be getting on it some. Whaddaya think?

Yes...hopefully Audi Junkie and Patman will step in here with first hand info. I know Patman did a spectacular GC UOA in his Vette with quarter mile runs on the meter

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:
Yes...hopefully Audi Junkie and Patman will step in here with first hand info. I know Patman did a spectacular GC UOA in his Vette with quarter mile runs on the meter

Awesome pscholte! I hope you don't mind about my flood of GC related questions, it's just that I am a little late on the scene and I've always been interested in great synthetics like RL and such. Any info you have on this interesting green oil I'd appreciate such as VI, NOACK, pumpability, etc. I hope to learn more about reading this data and interpreting UOA's. Thanks.

No, V8..., I may kid you about it but I don't mind.
smile.gif
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Losiho:
Are you kidding ? Of course he doesn't mind....Pscholte talks about GC in his sleep !
lol.gif
wink.gif

sleeping.gif
gorgle snort churble GC has an HT/HS of 3.6 and it is delightfully iridescent, sort of like the opals from Alice Springssssssssssssssssss......
sleeping.gif

quote:

Originally posted by CONMCK:
Question for V8BLitz, what sort of track are you talking about??

It is Lime Rock race track in Connecticut. It is a road course, Grand Prix style, I believe.

It will hold up better than most oils. Won't help much for oil starvation though. An accumulator would go a lot further if that's an issue, course, GC with the accumulator would be best... Well, multiple pickup dry sump with GC would be best, but probably not practical...

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:

Yep, I usually have 15 or more quarter mile runs on every interval with GC, plus tons of full throttle driving on the street, and GC always holds up very well. It can easily handle racing conditions.

Patman,
I also do quite a bit of full-throttle street-driving with my '00 VW 1.8T, with GC of course. My little VW is stock & puts out a whopping 150 HP. But my question is: Do you think your engine or my engine is harder on the oil?

I have always been of the opinion the drag racing does not really stress the oil as much as some people would believe (unless detonation or fuel dilution is a problem). Lets face it, 12 - 14 seconds of full throttle isn't really enough time to punish it. Now take the same engine, hook up a 8-10,000lb trailer, pull it through the mountains/long steep passes with headwinds during the heat of summer (you get my point) where your engine is at full throttle for 5-10 minutes at a time near engine redline, now thats a test for motor oil. Believe me, I've put my 01 5.3L pickup through worse than the above example and the UOA came back great. Either way I'm sure GC is up to the task.

quote:

Originally posted by wavinwayne:
Patman,
I also do quite a bit of full-throttle street-driving with my '00 VW 1.8T, with GC of course. My little VW is stock & puts out a whopping 150 HP. But my question is: Do you think your engine or my engine is harder on the oil?

Your engine is harder on the oil for sure. With the turbo you'll see hotter oil temps (mine generally runs in the 200-208F range) plus my sump is quite big, I put in 7.5 quarts.

quote:

Originally posted by bighead:

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
my sump is quite big, I put in 7.5 quarts.

offtopic.gif
shocked.gif
7.5? Is that stock or an aftermarket oil pan?

It's completely stock. The rated capacity on the Corvette's LS1 engine is 6.5 quarts, but it's got lots of room for more oil, GM even recommends putting in 1 to 1.5 extra quarts if you are going to autocross or road race your C5 Corvette.

I have ran M1 5w-30 on the "real track"
grin.gif
VIR and Road Atlanta.

First time was 4400 miles w/ 3 track days:

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=001668;p=1#000000

2nd was 7700 miles and 2 trackday:

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=002372#000000

Peak oil temps where 290°.

GC will hold up fine.

Right now I have 4400 miles on the M1 0w-40. I was down at sebring a few weeks ago. Oil peaked at 307° once and at least 300° for each session. 7 sessions over 2 days.

Next track event is VIR in July.

I think I will pull some out and send it off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back