Costs of vehicle repairs/maintenance

Great thought. This past winter I changed the thermostat on my minivan. I wondered how many others are driving inefficiently with a malfunctioning thermostat because they just don’t pay attention? I would not have noticed if I wasn’t watching the temp gauge and noticing it was not warming up fully.

There is a code for that when it's not warming up fast enough which is supposed to be a clue to change the thermostat.

In 1967 I worked for a summer at a Pontiac Buick dealership. We had a customer who was shopping for a new car. His approach was that as soon as it needed a new muffler he traded it in.

In those days mufflers were not very durable so he was on a 2 or 3 year new car schedule.

I keep my cars almost forever. I had most of the work on my '86 Volvo done at a Volvo specialty repair place. Bought it new. Over 18 1/2 years and 285,000 Km it averaged $1150/year to keep it in good repair for everything - tires, batteries, oil changes, brakes, water pumps, various seals, etc. On its last day in my care I wouldn't have worried about just getting in and driving it 300 miles. I sold it to friends who drove it for 5 more years.

I save by doing my own maintenance. I do oil & filter changes, brake work including fluid change, engine removal & replace for changing clutch plates, plugs and wires, transmission fluid changes, coolant changes, timing belt changes and other things that come up. I figure this is the way that I know for sure it's done right. I don't have to wonder about the quality of parts and labor.

Last edited:
I over maintain but I am getting to the point of doing minimal and trading in at 5 to 10 years .

Last edited:
Keeping all fluids clean and healthy does wonders. Oil,ps,pb,clutch,atf,coolant,rear diff,washer. Clean fluids will in most cases make those fluid dependent components last forever.
Clean fluids won't keep the parts from breaking but clean fluids help prolong the life of the components. Unless the components are low bid producer parts.

A couple of summers ago I watched a couple of doucheknuckles sit out along the outfield fence at my dotter's softball game in their suburban idling with the AC on for probably 5-6 hours throughout the day because it was too hot to sit in a lawn chair like the rest of us. A couple of nights ago I sat next to a woman sitting in her Lexus idling with the AC on for 90 minutes during my son's basketball tryouts because it was just a wee bit muggy out. I see this all the time. These are the vehicles I'd also be afraid of buying used just as much as one that didn't have proper maintenance done to it. Did I mention people are idiots?

Last edited:
For their personal finances, of course that's true. Unless something changes and you end up keeping them.
I may be the odd man out, but I have respect for my tools. I do the best I can to keep them in tip top shape.
Sometimes I pass my cars off to friends or family, but that's not really the reason.

But that's just me. Our TSX and Tundra each have about 210K and I never even check the oil. They are in excellent shape.
I did not imagine they would last this long. I frequently get offers for both, especially the Tundra.

Again, just my 2 cents.
Amen. I guess I also just have basic principles and will not bend to the I have no phucks to give attitude that is a bit part of the reason our country is currently circling the toilet in a downward trajectory. I have nice cars and I have crappy cars. My current daily driver is going to the scrap yard as soon as the engine or tranny goes south. It's a $1,500 car at best. I still do basic maintenance because it just might last me two more years, 75,000 miles or both.

Mechanics are being replaced by droids loaded with AI and corporate cliches. These droids are more expensive to maintain and update, so they cost you more to utilize. These same droids are being used by car manufacturers, from design and engineering to assembly. So, you must pay more for your droid built lego-cart.

CEO takes a limo.