Costo Kirkland 5W30 not a great deal afterall!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
Originally Posted by Patman
Originally Posted by OVERKILL

Yup, I remember reading that. I maintain my membership primarily for the cheaper gas. On an 80L fill the difference is typically around $12, and I'm doing two of those a week, so $24/week, $96/month; $1,152/year. I'm saving $1,000 including the cost of the membership, and that ignores the cash back.

Looking at local prices:
Costco:
Regular: $1.064/L
Premium: $1.239/L

Shell:
Regular: $1.143/L
Premium: 1.343/L

Esso:
Regular: $1.146/L
Premium: 1.406/L

Petro-Canada:
Regular: $1.209/L
Premium: $1.439/L

So the closest spread on 91 octane is $0.104/L and Shell is an anomaly, the other stations are more typical of the spread. Looking at Esso, that's $0.167/L, which, on an 80L fill is $13.36.

In the GTA now, Shell has jacked up it's price for premium and it's now 29 cents per liter higher than regular! So that makes it an even bigger savings for those buying premium at Costco around here. The price of premium at Costco will often be the same or even less than the cost of regular at Shell. Well worth the price of membership, it pays for itself in about a month.

29 yikes. Here it is 23, most other brands are 20. Chevron 94 is 24.

When fuel prices were around the same ~2007, premium was 13 cents more than regular
mad.gif

Yup, the gap has progressively widened, it is truly disgusting.

FWIW If you don't have a Costco near you and you live in Canada, check out Pioneer, as they have one of the lowest spreads between regular and premium. Same with Canadian Tire and Ultramar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back