Costco wrote KOT on tires?

I had new tires put on at Costco and told them I would like to keep the old tires as they only had 1000 miles on them. They gave me the old tires back, but wrote "KOT" very large in white on the tread of each tire. What does "KOT" mean? I'd like to sell the old tires and I'm not sure if these markings will impact that.

They gave me the old tires back, but wrote "KOT" very large in white on the tread of each tire. What does "KOT" mean? I'd like to sell the old tires and I'm not sure if these markings will impact that.

Probably chalk marker. It'll buff off.

They did the same KOT on a tire I told them I wanted to keep for a spare. I figured it meant Keep On Truck. It’s just chalk and will wipe off with a damp rag.
that probably makes more sense than keep old tires lol

"Keep Old Tire" makes sense. Not that they rush, but by habit, they pull the old tires off and someone else might come along to move them to the area that they throw the old tires. I'm sure no one wants to hunt through their for someone's tires.

@glock19 - just curious, did they also note your work order / receipt ? Someone mentioned that shops have to keep track of the old tires they pull off. Something related to EPA regulations or haz-mat type disposal rules.

They did the same KOT on a tire I told them I wanted to keep for a spare. I figured it meant Keep On Truck. It’s just chalk and will wipe off with a damp rag.
I think @redhat is probably correct that it's "Keep old tires", especially since this was on a Subaru Outback. Good to know that it's just chalk, I'll scrub it off this weekend.

@glock19 - just curious, did they also note your work order / receipt ? Someone mentioned that shops have to keep track of the old tires they pull off. Something related to EPA regulations or haz-mat type disposal rules.
They did not mention anything about me keeping the tires on the paperwork. In fact, now that I look at the paperwork I paid a $2/tire disposal fee.

It’s just chalk and will wipe off with a damp rag.
Well, turns out it's not chalk. I don't know what they used, but soap, a deck brush, and a power washer couldn't get it off.

kot.jpg

If I was buying used tires this would not affect the value. If someone is interested, they’ll ask and now you have an answer that makes total sense and should alleviate any and all concerns.

I wouldn't worry too much if its on the tread. Like others have said, it'll wear right off.

Back