Costco members are some if the most highly educated consumers in the USA, but why is pumping their own fuel so foreign to most of them?

Two questions for Costco members:
1. Why pull up to the pump that's on the opposite side of your filler neck?
2. Why squeeze the nozzle when you can use the trigger lock?

Costco members are some if the best educated consumers in the USA. Probably the retailer with the highest number of STEM customers.

But I have to ask, why do so many COSTCO members seem clueless everytime they pump their fuel at Costco?

It blows me away a group could be so well educated, very often STEMs from very good universities, but every time they pump fuel, it's like the first time they ever pumped fuel. And of course, they use Costco almost exclusively for their fuel, so it's not like it's a new station to them.
And how many of them have Oregon plates?

1. The line tends to be shorter, and the fuel line reaches to that side. It's actually encouraged to shorten the overall lines.
2. Don't know, I use the lock all the time.

The license plate fillers were great, had one on my 66 Biscayne. There was a lot of cool stuff on that car, including chrome bumpers directly mounted to the frame so you could sling-tow them without breaking anything.

Those were real bumpers. Did that Biscayne have a bumper jack? That came in handy if another car locked bumpers with you.

1. Normally you get boxed into the wrong pump and can’t navigate where you want
2. Some pumps latch out too far and pump slightly faster squeezing the trigger for your life

1. Because they have a sign stating you can do that. If the line is shorter.....why not ? Does not apply to my truck!

ls.jpg

2. I use the handle lock, but who cares ?

Lots of fuel nozzles have no lock in my experience. Just answering the question.
That’s a NY thing. Do not remember details but I remember looking it up. Like after driving through ny one time, shoving the gas cap into the handle each time, then days later when home, find out why (I think this was pre google days). Want to say it was state law, probably to keep people from walking away? maybe things have changed since then.

Patience. What happened to people having patience? Apparently people want instant EVERYTHING these days.
There is patience, and then there is wasted time. While the first one is a virtue, the second one is priceless, at least to me. I've seen plenty of people who don't value their own time, or other people's time, for that matter. So why be patient with those?

Last edited by a moderator:
Costco members are some if the best educated consumers in the USA. Probably the retailer with the highest number of STEM customers.

But I have to ask, why do so many COSTCO members seem clueless everytime they pump their fuel at Costco?

It blows me away a group could be so well educated, very often STEMs from very good universities, but every time they pump fuel, it's like the first time they ever pumped fuel. And of course, they use Costco almost exclusively for their fuel, so it's not like it's a new station to them.
Old man yelling at clouds with racial overtones? I mean why would you assume the customers were in STEM fields? What was the "tip off"?

Now one of the stupidest was putting the gas fill on the passengers side, like on the Taurus I had.
I much prefer passenger side fill because you can leave the driver door open when you're pumping gas and throw out trash and whatever w/out the gas fumes being drawn inside the cabin.

In addition with the passenger side fill there's zero chance you'll bang your door against something near the pump.

The beauty of my 2014 Cruze is that the fuel door is on the right side of the car. I can pick the shorter line on the left side of the island since the majority of vehicles have a left side fuel door. Its really one of the very few things I will miss about that car.

I would agree that Costco shoppers are likely more educated. I also see them struggling to pump gas sometimes.

But, this is only an issue with the 60+ crowd in my experience.

There is patience, and then there is wasted time. While the first one is a virtue, the second one is priceless, at least to me. I've seen plenty of people who don't value their own time, or other people's time, for that matter. So why be patient with those?
....What you resist....Persists..... In other words, the only thing you'll change about a situation is the way you decide to react to it. That person trying to pump gas in front of you is exactly what they are.... What can a person do in a situation like that? In my own experience, I try to fill-up when there's less crowds there. When I see the long lines, I decide to either come back later or go to another gas station.

It's just not that.... What bothers me more (Everyone has their "button"!) are those that litter! Leaving their trash for others to pick-up. %$#%$# Laziness, period.

Lots of fuel nozzles have no lock in my experience. Just answering the question.
That's a problem around here, but for a different reason. Dude has to stay at the pump handle, so he turns his music WAAAY UP so he can continue to listen to whatever.

At least if the handle would lock, they might get back into their car and I wouldn't have to hear it. Why do some people want to "broadcast" their music and destroy other individuals peace and quiet?

Back