COSTCO gas now Top Tier

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemay

Site Donor 2023
http://www.costcoauto.com/automotive_articles/fuel_economy/top_tier_gas_nozip.aspx?

I searched and couldn't find that it had been posted yet. If it was...
21.gif
sorry

Originally Posted By: Corvette Owner
It has been reported before. It was rumored for a long time.

But that is an excellent article, thanks for posting.

33.gif
my mistake! Glad you enjoyed the article at least.

now to send this to sams's club to let them know their competition is beating them with better gasoline!

Last edited:
Costco Kirkland Signature gas has exceeded Top tier specs. for along time. There is a sign on every pump at my local Costco. Costco is setting the standard not the 'top tier' people.

I got bad gas at Irving the other day - in my NEW CAR. Luckily I only pumped 5 gallons. The second day of runing known good fuel from the "good" shell station in Derry 9rt20) fixed things up (somehow)in a day of driving. I thought I was going to have to have the tank dropped it was running so bad.
frown.gif

Irving stations look so clean and have clean Irving trucks deliver - I guess bad gas from the terminal is bad gas - regardless of detergent level.

Is Irving known to be a Budget brand up North?

I've long noticed the additives they put in Costco gas reduce my gas mileage by a couple of MPG. But lately, it's been way up and I'm wondering if they changed something or if it's just the benefit of the hot weather we've been having lately. Normally my Accord gets about 28 mpg on Costco gas and it goes up to close to 30 mpg if I buy a different brand. This summer though, on Costco gas I've been consistently over 30; last two tanks were over 32 in fact. Wonder if Costco made any changes?

To ARCOgraphite: In the early '90's I drove around Nova Scotia and only Irving gas was available.
"Irv" made my smooth running Chevy 6 run VERY WEAKLY.
It was bad.
My car returned to normal with any brand of gas once I returned to Maine.
At that time Getty and Gulf (stateside) also made the same car run weakly
I don't know if things are the same now. Kira

I bought some costco diesel in Prescott AZ and was told by the attendant that only three stores in the country have it.

Dan

Funny... every Costco near me gets fuel deliveries from the exact same tankers that service Speedway and most other gas stations.

I still get gas at Costco for the cost savings, but I don't kid myself about it being better gasoline.

Originally Posted By: leeharvey418
Funny... every Costco near me gets fuel deliveries from the exact same tankers that service Speedway and most other gas stations.

I still get gas at Costco for the cost savings, but I don't kid myself about it being better gasoline.

Costco adds its own additives. That is the main difference between any brands, and yes, they are different.

Originally Posted By: badtlc

Costco adds its own additives. That is the main difference between any brands, and yes, they are different.

It's kind of a complicated matter. There's a lot of variables involved, and TiredTrucker can explain a lot of these details.

Most of the brand names provide their specific additive packages to the loading terminals. However, they may or may not be unique. Several of the major chemical companies that produce additive packages have basic and Top Tier qualified packages and sell them to any number of different companies. It could be possible for two different fuel marketers to use the identical additive package in the identical concentrations. TiredTrucker also noted that most fuel terminals will have a "generic" additive that meets the min EPA or state requirement and that any fuel seller could use if they requested it.

Originally Posted By: NMBurb02
Originally Posted By: rshaw125
Costco is setting the standard not the 'top tier' people.

What does that mean?

That Costco uses an additive package that is meant to go well beyond the Top Tier requirements. However, this is speculated for Chevron and possibly Shell - that they have perhaps 5 times the EPA mandated level of detergent additive. 76 says that Top Tier basically requires about 2.5 times the basic EPA detergent additive level, and that they use maybe 3 times.

top_tier_image.png

76 also makes claims that they set it at this level to provide additional benefits without causing side effects from overtreating the fuel.

Quote:
http://www.76.com/OurGas/

Good news for drivers everywhere — our gas now has 3 times more detergent additive than the minimum required by the EPA. Not only that, but it also has 30% more than the minimum level specified in the TOP TIER® Detergent Gasoline standard recommended by major car manufacturers.* Every drop has been carefully designed with just the right amount of engine cleaning power to avoid the side effects that can be caused by overtreating. Drive safely, fill up responsibly.

I'm not sure if this is that case here, but tankers can be compartmentalized.

We get tankers at work with acids and bases in the same tanker.

Originally Posted By: y_p_w

What does that mean?

That Costco uses an additive package that is meant to go well beyond the Top Tier requirements. However, this is speculated for Chevron and possibly Shell - that they have perhaps 5 times the EPA mandated level of detergent additive. 76 says that Top Tier basically requires about 2.5 times the basic EPA detergent additive level, and that they use maybe 3 times.

top_tier_image.png

76 also makes claims that they set it at this level to provide additional benefits without causing side effects from overtreating the fuel.

Quote:

Good news for drivers everywhere — our gas now has 3 times more detergent additive than the minimum required by the EPA. Not only that, but it also has 30% more than the minimum level specified in the TOP TIER® Detergent Gasoline standard recommended by major car manufacturers.* Every drop has been carefully designed with just the right amount of engine cleaning power to avoid the side effects that can be caused by overtreating. Drive safely, fill up responsibly.

I use to work for the chemical division of Union 76 about 35 years ago in Clark NJ. There was one Union 76 station in NJ, it was a truck stop near the PA border. A Union 76 gas station just opened up where a Getty station was, not too far from me. It's prices seem competitive. I wonder if one lone Union 76 gas station gets the 3X more detergent level they claim. Or is it the same detergent level as the other gas stations around it.

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: Whimsey
Originally Posted By: y_p_w

What does that mean?

top_tier_image.png

Quote:

I use to work for the chemical division of Union 76 about 35 years ago in Clark NJ. There was one Union 76 station in NJ, it was a truck stop near the PA border. A Union 76 gas station just opened up where a Getty station was, not too far from me. It's prices seem competitive. I wonder if one lone Union 76 gas station gets the 3X more detergent level they claim. Or is it the same detergent level as the other gas stations around it.

Whimsey

Per the Top Tier rules:

Originally Posted By: http://www.toptiergas.com/faqs.html
A TOP TIER license agreement states that all stations under a brand name or franchise name must use the same detergency treat rate. The fuel marketer cannot select only certain service stations to use the TOP TIER detergency treat rate.

So all Union 76 station should be the same detergent package and treat rate.

[sarcasm]But, but, but...there is no enforcement mechanism! Top Tier is a sham! Blah, blah, blah. [/sarcasm]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back