COSTCO gas now Top Tier

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have never noticed a difference with cars but ValvTect Marine diesel and gas is awesome.

Everyone who fills with only ValvTect has clean filters at the end of the year.

Originally Posted By: Whimsey
Originally Posted By: y_p_w
Originally Posted By: NMBurb02
Originally Posted By: rshaw125
Costco is setting the standard not the 'top tier' people.

What does that mean?

That Costco uses an additive package that is meant to go well beyond the Top Tier requirements. However, this is speculated for Chevron and possibly Shell - that they have perhaps 5 times the EPA mandated level of detergent additive. 76 says that Top Tier basically requires about 2.5 times the basic EPA detergent additive level, and that they use maybe 3 times.

top_tier_image.png

76 also makes claims that they set it at this level to provide additional benefits without causing side effects from overtreating the fuel.

Quote:
http://www.76.com/OurGas/

Good news for drivers everywhere — our gas now has 3 times more detergent additive than the minimum required by the EPA. Not only that, but it also has 30% more than the minimum level specified in the TOP TIER® Detergent Gasoline standard recommended by major car manufacturers.* Every drop has been carefully designed with just the right amount of engine cleaning power to avoid the side effects that can be caused by overtreating. Drive safely, fill up responsibly.

I use to work for the chemical division of Union 76 about 35 years ago in Clark NJ. There was one Union 76 station in NJ, it was a truck stop near the PA border. A Union 76 gas station just opened up where a Getty station was, not too far from me. It's prices seem competitive. I wonder if one lone Union 76 gas station gets the 3X more detergent level they claim. Or is it the same detergent level as the other gas stations around it.

Whimsey

Maybe being anal retentive here, but there hasn't been "Union 76" for years. Unocal sold off the 76 brand name years ago, and it's gone through several hands via purchase, mergers, or spinoffs (Tosco, Phillips, ConocoPhillips, Phillips 66). Even back when I had a credit card, they were using the name "Unocal 76".

Also - Unocal was sold off to Chevron back in 2005. It was really nasty too, as they'd negotiated a sale with a Chinese state-owned oil company, but that sale was essentially blocked by Congressional opposition. They had no retail presence. They were mostly into natural gas exploration and a small amount of oil exploration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back