Cost to replace brake shoes

Was curious what a shop (dealer or independent) would charge to replace the rear brake shoes on a 2008 Honda Civic. Using Honda brake shoes and reusing the drums.

With you, or them supplying the parts? I'm guessing 1.5-2 hrs labor. I did my own on my 2003 Civic a couple of weekends ago. It cost me $90 in parts (shoes, drums, and hardware) and about 3 hours of my time.

So let's say $80/hr labor, that would be $120-160 just for labor. Honda shoes will be way more expensive then the $13.25 I paid for PowerStops. My guess would be $250 for parts and labor.

I was recently quoted $450 rear brake shoes and drums from local Firestone for 2003 Pontiac vibe. At that price, I’ll do it my self

Too many factors figure in. Only accurate estimate is going to involve off wheel inspection, anything less is guessing. Unless you measured, you have no idea on the drum thickness, condition of wheel cylinders and the hardware which should be changed.

Pricing this job on a forum accurately is difficult there are just too many variables. The labor could be anything from an hour and $100 for the OE shoes if everything fell apart and that is all that was needed for parts. On a 13 year old car living in an area that uses road salt all winter that IMO may be getting a bit too optimistic in reality the drums may be a bugger to remove and shot, the springs should be replaced, there is a chance the backing plate is rotten and the wheel cylinders are shot. Have I said anything about the parking brake system yet?

Removing the wheel cylinders may damage a brake line and doing the backing plate on some cars requires removing the hub which can be another can of worms. Been there done that many times over the years, a small insignificant job in low rust areas turns into a real (and expensive fiasco) in the rust belt. Use OE drums and parts if needed aftermarket drums in general suck bad and don't bother turning them, there are very few people left that can do that job or maintain the machine properly.

I am not saying this is what is going to happen in this case but be aware it easily could, forewarned is forearmed.

A dealer did rear drums and shoes on my 05 prius for $480 back in 2009 or so, because the drums were "very rusty". :cautious:

You often get a lip on drums where the shoes don't rub, and this makes banging them off somewhat more difficult, possibly busting springs and nails like Trav alluded to.

You probably don't "need" honda shoes, there's nothing special about them. The quality of the mechanic and the willingness of the customer to buy needed "surprise" parts is more important.

Drum brakes are scary and harder to do than disc brakes, so the cost will be higher. Also, OEM Honda shoes are expensive and sold individually :mad:
It's about $80 for the set of 4 shoes from Honda.

Unfortunately, the Bendix pre-assembled shoes aren't available for your Civic. If they were, the job would be easy and you could do it yourself.

With rust, you're better off replacing the drums, too. The labor cost will not increase, and they do have coated drums that delay the rust.

Centric shoes have a GG rating, and paired with the Power Stop coated drums, they will cost less than just the OE shoes alone.

I hope you get rustproofing done on your car :D

Just replaced the rear brakes on my 1990 Ranger XLT. Had the optional 11" brakes on it that would lock up the rear passenger wheel first thing in the morning. New wheel cylinders and brake hose did not help. Finally just ordered new Rabestos e3 shoes and spring kit and drums. When I replaced all that stuff I found the problem. The assembly line monkey put the wrong spring on the forward shoe of the right rear. Had 2 yellow springs and no green spring. Maybe now when I buy new tires that one won't wear out first. Stops better than ever. Total for parts and including new drums was about $80 and shipping was about $20. I am happy. No need to replace my truck now.

It sounds like my guess of $250 was pretty low compared to some of the other replies. If it's closer to $500, you might want to consider doing them yourself. Drums are harder to do then discs. I'm far from an expert and it took me about 3 hrs plus a bunch of cuts and scrapes on my hands. Powerstop brand coated drums, Powerstop shoes, and a spring hardware kit cost me $90 including shipping from Rock Auto. This is on an '03 Civic.

Part NumberPart TypePrice EACore EAQuantityTotal
2003 HONDA CIVIC 1.7L L4
CARLSON​
17351 (FH17351)Drum Brake Hardware Kit
Private Label Package
$ 4.12​
$ 0.00​
1​
$ 4.12​
POWER STOP​
JBD504PDrum
$ 24.79​
$ 0.00​
2​
$ 49.58​
POWER STOP​
B576Brake Shoe
$ 13.25​
$ 0.00​
1​
$ 13.25​
Shipping​
First Class Mail, Ground
$ 16.98​
Tax​
$ 7.13​
Order Total
$ 91.06

Prodemand shows 1.4 hr c/p without refinishing.

In reality, many shops will menu-price brake service.

Reactions: JTK
Typical non-dealer shop charge in my area for a standard one axle brake job that would include only replacing pads/shoes/rotors/drums is around $350/axle. If you needed a caliper or wheel cylinder, etc, add another $100 or so.

I was quoted $316 + tax for front rotors and pads on our 2019 Pathfinder from a local tire chain about a month ago when I was in for something else. Not sure which jobber parts they use, but that's not a bad price. I still declined.

A Honda dealer about 7 years ago put front pads on my Accord. Their price was $249 an axle.
In comparison, I just had pads and rotors on all 4 wheels put on the same Accord by my trusted Mechanic.
Cost was $480 OTD.

Back