Cost to paint house?

What does it cost in your area to paint a single-story, 1800 sq-ft house?

Next door neighbor paid $8k for the interior. He was quoted $11k to do the exterior.

I am a bit surprised by the prices; I was expecting 4 figures not 5.

Cost me about $3k in 2016 to have paint the exterior of a 1 story house and the back deck, $4k in 2017 for exterior of a 2 story house, those included them buying the paint in the colors I chose.

I had a quote of $4K to paint the exterior. I'm not at all sure I want to spend that. I've painted single story FL homes before and it's just not that hard. My home is "knock-down" stucco, so it's pretty smooth and easily painted with a roller. I'm not sure how long it would take an old man like me to complete the job, but I would not change the color, just in case I missed small bits, or did not finish.

Last edited:
I had mine painted in the fall of 2018 for $8000. Two story over 4200 sq ft. Painter supplied paint. Siding and trim no windows. Windows sills were cleaned however. I got him down a few hundred with cash.

Id do interior DIY.

Exterior I want to say we paid $6k or so a number of years ago. I probably have less paintable surface because my garage is detached and stone.

I no longer remember the figures the only time I had a 2 story house painted, BUT, a couple times I had a bid on painting a rental (about 900 square ft. ) I decided that for a couple thousand more I could have it vinyl sided, and that is what I did. Cost a little more, but no more painting, and brought more money when I sold.

Originally Posted by SeaJay
Betcha the labor cost in California is quite a bit higher than in some of the other states noted in these posts.
exactly what I was thinking. When the guy who paints your house lives in a working class area and his house payment is 3 grand a month, of course he is going to charge way more than someone in a much lower priced area. BTW, gas is still under $2 a gallon here...lol

Single story houses are much easier to paint then 2 or 3 story. I'd paint it myself, but yes I know not everyone might want to do that or don't have the time.

$1900 in Round Rock Texas two years ago. Single story 1200 sq foot house, behr ultra paint, blue/grey with white trim.

Included all prep work, powerwash, caulk, minor repairs.

Took them one day to powerwash, then they let it dry and came back to caulk, and painted in one day.

I have a friend that's a firefighter and also does painting on the side. He said he charges $2500 for a small home exterior, might have $400 in paint and will take him two days, usually works by himself and likes to spray whenever possible.
he said he charges about $225 a room for an interior. Non professionals pay more for paint at paint stores.
He likes to use Sherwin Williams Super Paint for exterior work. So he makes about $1k a day after materiel cost. Lots of people think they are worth a fortune when they are self employed and don't believe the hype about business expenses
because it's little with some occupations and a lot more with others. An auto repair garage would have LOTS more expense compared to a painter, but the painter often makes more per hour to boot.

I have a 2000 sq ft single story house, mostly brick except for trim, eaves, chimney trim, garage doors etc. Cost was 2450.00 last year to have it painted which included pressure washing of entire exterior.

Depends on prep and paint used, of course.
I would find someone who could do it on the side.
Use the best paint you can, so it lasts.
Kelly Moore is very good; Benjamin Moore is outstanding and you will pay for it.

Originally Posted by SeaJay
Betcha the labor cost in California is quite a bit higher than in some of the other states noted in these posts.

You don't say!
lol.gif

Those prices are sky high in my opinion.

We just painted our very large stucco home ourselves, two coats. I estimate that we spent about 400 hours and with a coarse, texture it took about 100 gallons of expensive stucco system designed paint. So I spent about $3000 in materials. I could have gotten the labor done by professionals that were hungry enough for probably $12,000. I got a quick quote of $8500 for one coat. (I knew I would only be satisfied with 2 coats. Home is 2 stories, nearly 5400sf in Northern NJ)

Just had a single car garage painted and about soiled myself when I went and picked up the paint, $60 a gallon for Sherwin Williams Super Paint. I had no idea paint was the expensive.

I turned 72 today. And I'm thinking about how to paint my 2 story. But maybe not until next summer since I'm too busy hauling stones this year.

We know a lady who was well into her late 80s (could even have been 90) when she painted her house.

Painting just isn't that hard. But make sure you don't fall.

At closing time, a gal slides up next to the only guy at the bar. "Hey buddy, for a c note I'll do any three words you can can think of". The guy looks around and whips out a hundred and pays her off. "OK, what'll it be" she purrs. " Paint my house"...

I know people that have had the exterior painted for $2000 and others that paid over $10,000. The difference was location, quality, and difficulty of work. I would expect your area to be on the higher end.

Originally Posted by Donald
I had mine painted in the fall of 2018 for $8000. Two story over 4200 sq ft. Painter supplied paint. Siding and trim no windows. Windows sills were cleaned however. I got him down a few hundred with cash.

Holy S! brotha! Vinyl is final! That is a lot of dough. Similar size house; and rear is a walk out basement so I get the size issue. I couldnt imagine 8k. Love my home and location but the 17k in taxes make me angry.

Back