Cost to Blend a D1G2 Base

I keep seeing a thought expressed that a D1G2 "Synthetic" 5W-30 is being produced by store brand blenders out of GII/GIII blends.

Let's say that requires roughly 125 VI Base. I can't see how a budget blender cam blend 138 VI, 134 VI and 105 VI bases to reach 125 VI cheaper than Korean 123 VI and 127 VI to the desired VI. The only people I can think of that might be able to do it cheaper is SOPUS.

Am I wrong about the costs and if not where is the incentive to produce these blends?

Yes I know EM promotes their GII+ in this way but once you compare prices to S-Oil GIII the higher VI GIII/GIII+ required doesn't seem to result in a lower production cost.

I just don't see a reason to do it.

I think you might be forgetting the role of VII in setting VI.

This is probably the Mobil EHC thing you were thinking of, and they of course claim it can save up to 15%:

Screen Shot 2020-09-08 at 9.02.43 AM.png

Last edited:
I think this is one of those situations where some of us have our suspicions, but it is difficult to confirm since this information is often very proprietary. Similarly, the pricing of these individual ingredients is probably quite dependent on a customer's volume.

"Potential to reduce costs" is already waffling, and then it's the asterisk pointing to the blurry, white-on-black tiny 6 point type that no human eye can read. I have a 55" monitor and I still can't read it.

"Potential to reduce costs" is already waffling, and then it's the asterisk pointing to the blurry, white-on-black tiny 6 point type that no human eye can read. I have a 55" monitor and I still can't read it.

Here you go, I zoomed it in just for you.
Screen Shot 2020-09-08 at 9.20.49 PM.png

Back